LYNFORD is a parish, 5 miles north-east from Brandon station, 7½ north-west from Thetford and 93 from London, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, and Thetford union and county court district. There was a church here, but it has been destroyed some centuries: there is no incumbent, nor is it ecclesiastically connected with any other parish. The inhabitants attend the church in West Tofts. The Catholic chapel, erected in 1879, at the expense of Mrs. Lyne-Stephens, and dedicated to Our Lady of Consolation and St. Stephen, is a handsome flint building with stone dressings, consisting of nave without aisles, having a tiled roof and a small cupola: under the east window is a fine stone reredos and the floor within the altar-rails is laid with mosaic work: it is seated with open carved oak benches, having a handsome oak screen at the end: the roof inside is stained oak, the beams of which rest upon carved stone corbels: at the entrance door is a fine marble piscina: the Rev. Michael Dwane is priest in charge. Lynford Hall, the seat of Mrs. Lyne-Stephens, is a magnificent residence of red brick with stone dressings in the Elizabethan style, approached by a handsome carriage drive, situated in a small park, nearly enclosed by wood, and surrounded by 2,000 acres of common land, covered with gorse, forming an excellent preserve for game, which abounds here. Mrs. Lyne-Stephens is lady of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light sand, and in severe weather it drifts, though not so much as formerly, every part of it which is not heath and wood having been brought into cultivation. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,508 acres; rateable value £608 11s. 9d.; the population in 1881 was 109.
Letters through Mundford R.S.O. which is the nearest money order office.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, August 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lynford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Catholic Church of Our Lady [Simon Knott]
More on Lynford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page