LYNFORD, upwards of 7 miles N.N.W. of Thetford, has in its parish only 19 houses, 89 souls, and 1,100 acres of land, the property of Sir Richd. Sutton, Bart., who purchased this estate about 30 years ago, when he bought the adjoining estate of West Tofts Hall, which is occasionally visited by him. Lynford Hall was built in 1717, and its park is added to that of West Tofts. The Church was demolished several centuries ago, and its site is now planted with trees. Mr. Thos. Rutter farms the whole parish.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2000; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lynford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Catholic Church of Our Lady [Simon Knott]
More on Lynford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page