LYNG is a village and parish 4½ miles west from Reepham on the Great Eastern railway, 7 north-east from East Dereham 3½ miles south-east from Lenwade station on the Midland railway, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Mitford & Launditch union and East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The church of St. Michael is a small building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave, and south porch, and tower with containing 5 bells. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory, yearly value £528. in the gift of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A. J.P. of Bylaugh Park, and held by the Rev. Charles Thomas Jex-Blake M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. There are ruins of an ancient chapel, dedicated to St. Edmund, situate in the eastern part of the parish. The Wesleyan Reformers and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. There are charities of £3 17s. yearly value, and 16 acres for cutting fuel. A fair was formerly held on November 20th. The chief landowners are Col. Sir Hambleton Francis Custance K.C.B. and the Rev.Henry Evans Lombe B.A., J.P. of Bylaugh Park. The soil is of light character; subsoil. sand. The area is 1,899 acres; rateable value, £2,914; the population in 1881 was 499, including LYNG EASTHAUGH hamlet, 1 mile east.
POST OFFICE.John Long, receiver. Letters through Norwich, receivede at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 2.20 p.m.; no delivery or dispatch on sundays. The nearest money order office is at Great Witchingham & telegraph office at Reepham.
National School (mixed), William Hilling, master; George Clark, assistant
CARRIER TO & FROM NORWICH.Joseph Barton, sat.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lyng Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Lyng watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Lyng [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page