LYNG, 5 miles S.W. of Reepham, and 6 miles N.E. by E. of Dereham, has in its parish a paper and corn mill, 1,899a. 2r. 22p. of land, 145 houses, and 656 souls ; and includes EASTHAUGH, a small hamlet on elevated ground, about a mile south of the village. Chas. Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor (fines arbitrary) and patron of the Church ; but H. F. Custance, Thos. Cadywold, and Thos. Mills, Esqrs., and Mrs. Mitford and others have estates here. Sir John de Norwich, in the time of Edward III., had license to make a castle of his manor-house, some traces of which are still to be seen on an acclivity east of the village. A fair is held on the 20th November. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael [sic: St. Margaret], has a tower and six bells ; and the rectory valued in the King's book at £11 0s. 6d., and in 1839 at £508, has 58a. 3r. 5p. of glebe. The Rev. Hy. Evans is the incumbent. The Wesleyans, Wesleyan Reformers, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Church Land, 2a. 28p., is let for £2 6s. At the enclosure in 1811, 16a. 1r. 9p. were awarded to the poor for fuel. Solomon Leech, in 1618, left £2 12s. yearly for the poor ; 10s. for a sermon ; and 1s. 4d. for repairing the bell ropes. The poor have also 20s. yearly, left by Jno. Starling, and 5s. by the Rev. Thos. Roberts.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April 2001; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lyng Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ruined church of St. Edmund [Simon Knott}
Lyng watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Lyng [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page