1891 Census Names Index
King's Lynn Union Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
Will of Thomas Shearman. 1704
Index of Marriages for Lynn St. Margaret (1670-1710) [Alan Gresley]
Index of Marriages for South Lynn (1746-1800) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1883 for Lynn St Edmund (North Lynn) [Nigel Pendall];
White's 1883 for West Lynn [Nigel Pendall]
King's Lynn Town Mill (watermill) [Jonathan Neville]
Boal steammill, King's Lynn [Jonathan Neville] X
Kettle watermill, King's Lynn [Jonathan Neville]
Oyle watermill, King's Lynn [Jonathan Neville]
Almshouse Lane postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Blackfriar's road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Fairstead postmill [Jonathan Neville]
St. Anne's smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
South Lynn smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
The Kettle smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
The Walk postmills [Jonathan Neville]
"Postcard from King's Lynn" [Eastern Daily Press]
Remains of St. James' church [Simon Knott]
More on King's Lynn [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Lynn Regis [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More Parish Information on King's Lynn, St. Margaret [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see More Pubs in Lynn
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - King's Lynn

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 373-379.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

L Y N N

LYNN, KING'S LYNN, or LYNN REGIS, is the chief town in West Norfolk, and the great seaport of all the eastern lowlands: it lies on the east bank of the river Great Ouse, near the junction of the river Nare, 2 miles from the Wash, 90 from London by railroad and 98½ by road, 41½ north-east from Cambridge, 26¾ north-west-by-west from Dereham, 11 north from Downham Market, 26¾ north from Ely, 48½ west-by-north from Norwich, 14½ north-west-by-west from Swaffham and 15½ north-east from Wisbech: it is a parliamentary and municipal borough, with separate jurisdiction and quarter sessions, a seaport, market and poor law union town, polling-place for the Western division of the county, and head of a county court district, in the hundred of Freebridge Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.

This is a terminus of the Great Eastern, Great Northern, and Midland Companies, having direct railway communication with London, Cambridge, Ely, Wisbech, Peterborough, Hunstanton, Wells, Norwich, Spalding, Grimsby and Hull; and, by way of Cambridge, Peterborough and Stamford, to all the principal towns in the north and west of the kingdom. The Eastern and Midlands railway has its terminus at present in a portion of the Great Eastern station at Lynn, but an independent station in Austin street is now (1883) in course of construction. This railway company has been formed by an amalgamation of the Lynn and Fakenham, Yarmouth and North Norfolk, Midlands and Eastern, Peterborough, Wisbech and Sutton and Yarmouth Union Companies, and by means of it the towns and districts of North Walsham, Aylsham, Melton Constable and Fakenham are brought in direct communication with Lynn and an alternative route is provided to Norwich and Yarmouth. The celebrated Norfolk broads are easily accessible by this railway.

Lynn passed into the hands of ecclesiastics before the Norman Accession, at which period it was already a port, with considerable customs and many salt works: in the reign of William Rufus, Bishop Herbert founded the church and priory of St. Margaret; and the priory of Norwich obtained the grant of a fair to be held at Lynn on the feasts of St. Margaret, with various other privileges, in the time of Henry I.: in the reign of Henry VIII, much of the ecclesiastical property passsed to the crown, and the name of the borough was changed from Lynn Episcopi to Lynn Regis.

During the Civil Wars, in the reign of Charles I. the Mayor and Burgesses of Lynn declared for the Royal cause, and placed the town in a position of defence against the attack of 18,000 Parliamentary soldiers, under the command of the Earl of Manchester: the town was closely besieged from August 28th to September 26th, when the garrison, consisting of 5,000 men, was obliged to surrender: during the siege, on Sunday, September 3rd, 1643, when the minister and congregation were assembled for divine worship a sixteen pound shot was fired from West Lynn into St. Margaret's church, where it did no further harm than to shatter a pillar into pieces and disperse the people: after the siege the town was garrisoned for the Parliament, and so remained during the Civil War.

The town is very ancient, but was not of much importance prior to the Norman Accession. King John visited Lynn in 1205, and on the petition of John Grey, Bishop of Norwich, that monarch granted Lynn a charter to be a free borough. The borough has sent two members to Parliament since the 26th of Edward I. and has had no fewer than nineteen charters, granted during the reigns of John, Henry III. Edward I. Edward II. Edward III. Henry V. Henry VIII. Edward VI. Philip and Mary, James I. Charles II. and George II.: the first governing charter, which appointed and fixed the municipal corporation, was granted by Henry VIII. and the government consisted of a mayor, twelve aldermen, eighteen councillors, recorder and town clerk. Under the Municipal Corporation Act the borough is divided into the north, middle and south wards, and the corporation consists of a mayor, six aldermen and eighteen councillors: other officials are the high steward, recorder, town clerk, coroner, treasurer, sword-bearer, town crier and sergeants-at-mace. The mayor and ex-mayor, with other justices are included in a separate commission of the peace, under which petty sessions are held on Mondays and Thursdays at the Guildhall. The borough court for the trial of civil actions has been superseded by the county court, and the courtleet, formerly held by the corporation as lords of the manor, has not been held for several years past. The revenue of the corporation is about £4,000 a year, besides which there are large charitable endowments, under the management of the Charity Commissioners. The corporation possesses an elegant enamelled cup and cover of silver, double gilt, weighting 73 ounces, and holding about half a pint: this cup was presented by King John. The sword that is carried before the mayor is said to have been the gift of Henry VIII.; besides which four silver maces (gilt), are carried before the mayor on all public occasions. Among possessions of the corporation is the ferry over the river Ouse. There is a local police force. The borough gaol, having been abolished a few years since, is now used as a lock-up, convicted prisoners being sent to Norwich.

The port of Lynn, from its position in relation to the inland navigation connected with it on the one hand, and its free communication with the German ocean on the other is of considerable importance, especially in the corn, timber and coal trades. The harbour is formed in a wide reach of the Ouse river, and is very deep: it will hold upwards of 300 vessels: the tide rises 22 feet: the entrance to it was formerly rendered difficult by the tortuous course of the channel, and the variety of shifting sandbanks: this, however, has been remedied by improvements made by the Norfolk Estuary Company: the upper streams are under the care of the Conservators of the Ouse outfall, and have been much improved. The harbour of Lynn, and other local works, are under the government of the corporation and several bodies of commissioners. The number of vessels belonging to this port is 100, of the aggregate tonnage of 9,200, employing 600 seamen, besides small craft, lighters, and 120 fishing-boats. The exports are principally corn, wool, sand, and coprolite to British ports, and coals, machinery, implements, and manufactured goods for the foreign trade. The imports are principally coal, timber, wine, maize, barley, linseed, cotton seed and oilcake, and a great variety of manufactured goods from the Continent by a line of steamers between Hamburg and Lynn. The wine trade here is as ancient as the time of Henry III. The fisheries are shrimps, cockles, smelts, soles, cod and whelks; above 60 tons of shrimps alone are sent to London yearly. There are malthouses and breweries, corn mills, iron and brass foundries, agricultural implement manufactories, seed crushers, coach makers and millwrights, seed crushers, coach makers rope and sail makers, and coir yarn and matting factory.

The Dock, constructed by Mr. Lawrence, from designs of Mr. Brunlees, was begun in 1867 and finished in 1869; it is situated at the north end of the town, adjoining the harbour, and contains about 6¾ acres of water area: the form is an irregular quadrangle, the southern side 780 feet in length and the northern 500; the width from south to north, between the edges of the quays, about 440 feet: at the water surface the width is 420 feet, and the average depth of the dock is 31 feet: the inclination of the slopes forming the sides is 1½ horizontal to 1 perpendicular, the slopes being faced with solid concrete blocks: small craft are able to approach near the edge; but to accommodate vessels of large draught, substantial timber staiths or projecting quays have been constructed; each staith is 32 feet long, projecting somewhat beyond the base of the slope, and its floor or deck is furnished with rails leading on to a turntable upon one of the two lines of railway by which the dock is entirely encompassed: there is a continuous covered timber wharf, 250 feet long, on the south side, furnished with steam cranes, at which the continental steamers load and discharge their cargoes: there is a powerful hydraulic lift at the end of the dock for the shipment of coal from the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire coal-fields, and this branch of the export trade is very extensive: with these appliances there is accommodation for the direct loading or delivery of several vessels of an average tonnage of 1,000 each: the total capacity of the dock is about 50,000 tons: the work of excavation brought to light some interesting relics of antiquity, more or less remote: from the drift have been taken out many tons of animals extinct in this country—such as the elephant, wild boar, tiger, elk, wolf, beaver, and others of far greater antiquity: a fine collection of specimens is preserved, together with British, Roman and Saxon pottery, and other objects brought to light after the interment of many centuries: the dimensions of the lock are:—width, 50 feet; length between gates, 200 feet; depth, 30 feet: the platforms on which the lock gates work are 9 feet 6 inches below low water of average tides, and with the surrounding walls comprise an immense mass of substantial masonry: the stone used is the Bramley Fall, a very hard and durable millstone grit: a branch railway, three-quarters of a mile in length, owned by the Dock Company, connected the dock with the Great Eastern, Midland and Great Northern railway systems: the dock was formally opened by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, on 7th July 1869, and named the Alexandra Dock: in 1877 an Act was obtained authorizing the Dock Company to considerably extend the dock accommodation, by adding another basin 1,000 feet long by 400 feet wide, connected with the old dock by a short canal, and shut off by a pair of lock gates, thereby forming an inner dock, which with the surrounding land for the storage of timber and the erection of sheds, covers about 70 acres: this additional dock was commenced in 1881 and opened for traffic in 1883, affording facilities for increased trade at the port, and adding much to the prosperity of the town.

The town on the land side is encompassed by a fosse, formerly defined by a strong embattled wall, flanked by nine bastions: fragments still remain of the wall, together with the south gate, a fine gothic tower, with a lofty pointed archway for carriages and two smaller ones for foot passengers: near the fosse, on the east side of the town, is an octagonal two-storied chapel, called the Red Mount, formerly much visited by pilgrims and others.

The town is about a mile and a quarter in length, and more than half a mile in breadth; its eastern suburb is interspersed with villas and thriving plantations. The streets and lanes are generally narrow, but clean and well paved, and there are many excellent shops and good hotels. Near the London road are public walks, planted with trees and shrubs; one of these extends from Guanock terrace, at the south end of the town, to the Red Mount, and from thence along the site of the town wall, of which the remains are fast disappearing, as far as the Railway Station: this peasant promenade has a range of lofty lime and chestnut trees on each side, one of which is surrounded by a group of trees known as the Seven Sisters.

The Marshland Iron Bridge, over the river Ouse, connecting Lynn with West Lynn, built by the Ouse Outfall Commissioners, at a cost of £20,000, opened the 30th July, 1873, is a wrought iron lattice girder bridge, 500 feet between the abutments, having a roadway 25 feet wide, and supported upon four piers.

The municipal borough consists of the parishes of St. Margaret and All Saints or South Lynn: the parliamentary borough includes part of Gaywood.

St. Margaret's church, formerly that of a priory, is a fine structure of freestone with two large towers at the west end, 86 fete high, one of which was formerly surmounted by a spire, which being blown down in 1741, destroyed in its fall the nave and the lantern which rose from the four arches at the intersection of the transept and nave: the building now consists of chancel, nave, aisles and transepts: the church, though curtailed from its original dimensions, is still a noble pile, 240 feet long and 132 feet broad, and is lighted by 70 windows: it is chiefly in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, but the nave and aisles were rebuilt in a debased style, though of excellent material and workmanship, in 1747, when the whole edifice was new roofed and thoroughly repaired: the pews and galleries have since been cleared away: the chancel has a peculiar east window, and contains several carved stalls, some ancient memorials, and curious old brasses: the chapels adjoining the chancel were dedicated to The Trinity and St. Stephen: two chapels on the south side have been taken down: one of the towers contains a clock and 8 bells: this church has undergone very extensive alterations, £7,000 having been expended upon it, nearly the whole of which was raised by public subscriptions: the work, so far as the nave and aisles were concerned, was under the direction of the late Sir Gilbert Scott, while that of the chancel was undertaken by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who placed it in the hands of their architect, Mr. Ewan Christian. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of North Lynn, the joint gross yearly value of the tithe rent charge is £690, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held since 1882 by the Rev. Benjamin Dale.

St. Nicholas, a chapel of ease to St. Margaret is a fine but rather plain structure, in the Late Perpendicular style, 200 feet long and 78 feet wide, with open work roof: it has a very large stained east window: the font, of finely-wrought stone, standing on a pyramidal flight of steps, was presented by Bishop Harsnett in 1627: the tower contains a peal of 8 bells: a leaden spire, designed by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. was erected by public subscription in 1869.

St. John the Evangelist is an ecclesiastical district, formed in 1846 out of St. Margaret's parish. The church, in Blackfriars road, is in the Early English style, and was opened on September 24th, 1846: it contains 1,008 sittings, 800 of which are free: the cost of the edifice was about £5,000, which was raised partly by subscription and partly by a grant from the Society for Building and Enlarging Churches; the corporation gave the site. W. Salvin esq. was the architect. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £150, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1879 by the Rev. Sydenham Lynes Dixon T.A. King's College, London.

The Catholic church, in the London road, is a handsome structure, in the Decorated style, dedicated to St. Mary: it was erected in 1844, from a design by A. L. Welby Pugin esq. at a cost of £2,500: the east window is stained: in 1852 a north aisle was added, and a residence for the priest built. The Rev. Stodart Macdonald is the priest.

The Wesleyan chapel, Tower street, was erected in 1812, at a cost of £4,500. The Wesleyans have also two smaller chapels in the town, one on the London road and the other in North street. The Congregational chapel, New Conduit street, is a brick building, was erected in 1838, at a cost of about £3,000, and contains about 900 sittings The Stepney Baptist chapel, Blackfriars road, was erected in 1841, at a cost of £2,000: the building has been reseated and beautified at an outlay of £700. The Union Baptist chapel, Market street, was built in 1859, at a cost of £3,000, by persons who seceded from various Baptist and Independent congregations: it is a cruciform building in the Early English style, having a small tower and square spire, and contains 500 sittings. The Methodist New Connexion chapel, Railway road, is a brick building, erected in 1852-3, at a cost of about £2,000; it will seat 890 persons. The Primitive Methodists have erected a large chapel in the London road, at a cost of about £2,000: it is a brick building in the Italian style, with 800 sittings, and was opened in 1867: adjoining are large schoolrooms. A chapel, called the Free Christian church, belonging to the Unitarians, was erected in 1875: it is built of white bricks, with red brick bandings and Bath stone dressings, in the Middle-Pointed style. The Society of Friends have a meeting house in New Conduit street.

The Salvation Army barracks, in Wellesley street, will seat between 800 and 900.

The Borough Cemetery is on the Hardwick road and covers about eight acres of land: it has two chapels united by an archway, capped by a slated spire; also mortuary, and curator's lodge: it is under control of a Burial Board of 11 members.

The Grammar School was founded by Thomas Thoresby, in the reign of Henry VIII. and is under the control of the town council: the school-room and master's house have been rebuilt: the mastership is endowed: there are no free scholars: there are some small exhibitions of about £30 yearly: the Prince of Wales gives a gold medal. The Rev. J. B. Slight M.A. is the present head master. Eugene Aram, who was the usher of Lynn Grammar school, was apprehended herein 1759 for the murder of Daniel Clarke, committed at Knaresborough, in Yorkshire, in 1744, and for which he was executed at York.

The Guildhall, formerly the hall of the Trinity Guild, is situated in the Saturday Market place: it has a fine gothic window and Renaissance porch of flint and stone: the Assembly Rooms form a part of the building, and open out by means of folding doors, so as to form an elegant apartment, 87 feet long by 22 feet broad and 22 feet in height: adjoining these are the council and magistrates' rooms: a few full length portraits adorn the walls. Here is preserved the Red Register of Lynn, said to be the oldest paper book in existence, and many other muniments of the Corporation.

The Corn Exchange, Tuesday Market Place, is a large glass-roofed brick building, with stone front: it was erected in 1854.

The Customs House, Purfleet quay, is a building of freestone, erected in 1683, in the Italian style, with a curious pyramidal roof, from which rises a small open turret, terminating in a pinacle at the height of 90 feet: a statue of Charles II. is placed over the entrance.

The Athenæum, erected in 1854, is a brick building, situated in Baxter's plain, in the centre of the town. and contains several local institutions for the promotion of literature, science and art. 1st. The Stanley Library and Reading Room, founded by a munificent grant by the present Earl of Derby, formerly member for the town, principally for the working classes, and since amalgamated with the older subscription library, containing 16,000 volumes, the lowest scale of subscription being one shilling and three pence per quarter; 2nd. The Museum, a spacious hall and gallery, particularly rich in ornithology, and to which J. H. Gurney esq. was a munificent contributor: the museum is supported by subscription, but is freely open to the public; 3rd. The Conversazione, a society which works by lectures, papers and discussions; 4th. The Church of England Young Men's Society. Besides the apartments specially appropriated to these several societies, the Athenæum comprises numerous rooms and offices, which are let for general purposes; and a very fine hall, 84 feet long by 42 feet broad, which is used for concerts, lectures and exhibitions in connection with the associated societies, and is also let for the general purposes of a public room. The Athenæum was built by public subscription and loan, but fell into the hands of mortgagees; it is now private property.

The Lynn Public Baths are situated on Common Staith quay; the building is of brick, and comprises hot and cold, salt and fresh water baths, also shower and swimming baths; they were opened on the 4th July, 1856.

The Pilot Office also on Common Staith quay, is a building of red brick, surmounted by an octagonal tower 50 feet high: it was erected in 1863.

The Water Works. which are very ancient, have been modernised and improved of late years, and are the property of the Corporation. The water supply is from a stream, having its rise in the chalk strata at Gayton and Grimston.

The Gas Works, Southgate, were established in 1825, by Mr. Malam: they have been sold to and are now worked by the King's Lynn Gas Co.: since they were first erected in 1860, at a cost of about £2,000.

The Savings Bank, in St. James street, is a well-designed red brick building, in the Tudor style, and was erected in 1860, at a cost of about £2,000.

The Theatre is in St. James' street; the corporation are part proprietors with other shareholders.

Lynn is a great market for cattle, corn and other agricultural produce, which are brought here for shipment: the markets are held on Tuesday and Saturday; the former are for corn and cattle and are the principal markets: there are three market places, one of which is for live-stock only, and the others are called Tuesday and Saturday Market places: in the latter is a market house for butchers, in the former corn exchange, meat, poultry and fish market: in the centre of the Tuesday Market is a handsome pillar, combining gas lamp and public fountain, the gift of Mr. Malam, and erected at a cost of about £300: the cattle market adjoins Broad street, and is near the railway terminus, where there are very extensive cattle and sheep pens; it is held on Tuesday, and is very largely supplied with sheep and cattle. A pleasure fair, called the Mart, commences on St. Valentine's day, and lasts for a fortnight; another, called the Cheese fair, was held on the 17th of October, but was abolished in 1878: the cattle fairs are held on the second Monday in the months of April and November; the former principally for sheep, of which nearly 20,000 are sometimes penned.

The West Norfolk and Lynn Hospital, near the London road, is a spacious building of white brick, established December 1834, and erected at a cost of more than £3,000: in 1847 two wings were added, called the Harwood and Hankinson wards: the building will now hold 52 inmates: it is supported by voluntary contributions: a separate ward for contagious cases was erected in 1877 as a memorial of the late Rev. John Freeman, the biographer of Kirby the entomologist.

The following are the almshouses in the town:—

Framingham's Hospital, situated in the London road, is a handsome brick building with stone dressings, having convenient apartments for twelve inmates; a chapel is attached to it: the hospital has a lawn in front and a small garden behind for each inmate; it was founded in 1676, and derives its name from Alderman Framingham; it has a revenue of £500.

St. James' Hospital, St. James' road, was founded in the fourteenth century, but rebuilt in 1772; it has a chapel and twelve houses, and the revenue is about £150.

The Wesleyan, or Smith's Almshouses, St. James' road, are for eight poor women above sixty years of age; they were founded by Benjamin Smith esq. in 1822, who also endowed them; the endowment is abbot £30 yearly.

Elsden's Almshouses, in South Lynn, founded in 1842, have an income of £122; they are for eight persons.

Valinger's Almshouses, South Lynn plain, are for four poor women of South Lynn parish; they were founded in 1811 by Thomas Valinger; the yearly endowment is about £34. The other charities of the town are considerable.

St. Margaret's Library was founded in 1617, and contains about 1,700 volumes of ancient literature.

Near St. James' street and the Theatre is a fine hexagonal tower, the only remains of the Grey Priory, founded in 1264.

The following eminent men were natives of Lynn, viz:—Capgrave, a Franciscan friar, author of "Chronicles of England," and other works; Nicholas, or Friar Nicholas, a musician and astronomer, who died in 1360; William Santre, or Santer, a Wickliffite priest, who was burnt at Smithfield in 1401; William Gale, an eminent member of the Augustine order, who died in 1507; Sir Benjamin Keene, an ambassador , who died in 1757; and W. Whittingham, a bookseller, editor of one of the editions of the County History, who died in 1818.

All Saints' church, the parish church of SOUTH LYNN, is an ancient cruciform structure in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transept and bell turret, containing 1 bell; in 1860 this church was thoroughly repaired and re-seated; it formerly had a tower, which fell in 1763. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1855 by the Rev. William Leeper M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. The gross income is £507 with house.

SEECHE is a hamlet of South Lynn, distant 2 miles south. A licensed school chapel was erected here in 1863: it is a Gothic building of flint and brick, and serves for this hamlet and part of Saddlebow, a part of the parish of Wiggenhall St. Mary's. the church of which is situated on the opposite side of the river Ouse, about 3 miles from this portion of the parish.

WEST LYNN is a suburb and parish on the west bank of the Ouse, with which there is communication by a ferry and a bridge. GAYWOOD is also a suburban parish, and includes Highgate and Albion Place. The Directory of these suburbs will be found under separate headings.

The area of the parish is 2,898 acres, inclusive of 55 acres of water; rateable value of St. Margaret's parish, £7,475; and the population in 1881 was—All Saints, 5,088, and St. Margaret's, 13,451; total, 18,539. The population of the municipal borough in 1881 was 18,539; and of the parliamentary borough, 17,226 in 1871, and 18,454 in 1881.

Official Establishments, Local Institutions, &c.

Clerk to the Guardians, Robert Huxley Aldham, King street, Lynn
Relieving Officers, Northern district, William Targett, Grimstone; Vaccination Officers, for No. 1, Hillington; No. 2, Gayton & No. 4, Castle Rising sub-districts Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, Eastern district, John Davy Alexander, Grimstone; Superintendent Registrar, Robert Huxley Aldham, King's Lynn
Registrar of Births & Deaths, William Woods, Gaywood road, Gaywood, sub-district of Castle Registrar of Marriages, William Woods, Gaywood
Workhouse, Gayton, Benjamin James Barker, master; Rev. William Aubrey Cutting M.A. chaplain; Mary Barker, matron

RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.
Clerk, Robert Huxley Aldham, King street
Medical Officer of Health, Charles Bagge Plowright
Inspectors of Nuisances, southern district, R. H. Maltby, Gayton; northern district, W. Targett, Grimstone

SCHOOL ATTENDANCE COMMITTEE.

Clerk, Robert Huxley Aldham
School Attendance Officers, William Targett & Robert Henry Maltby

PUBLIC OFFICERS.

Assessors of Land & Property Tax, Frederick S. Wade, 119 London road
Clerk to the Assessment & School Attendance Committees of Freebridge Lynn Union,

Clerk to Assessment Committee of King's Lynn Union, John J. Coulton, King street
Clerk to the Burial Board, Thomas G. Archer, King st
Clerk to Charity Trustees for the Borough of Lynn, Edward Milligan Beloe, New Conduit street
Clerk to the Commissioners of Sewers for Norfolk, to Commissioners of Property, Income & Clerk to Commissioners of Land, Income Tax & Inhabited House Duty for the Hundred of Clerk to the Eau Brink Navigation Commissioners, Thomas G. Archer, King street
Clerk to the Pilot & Harbour Mooring Commissioners, John O. Smetham, Tuesday Market place
Clerk to the Ouse Bank Commissioners (1st & 2nd Districts), to the Magdalen Drainage Commissioners & to the Holme Sluice District, David Ward, Tuesday Market place
Clerk to the Ouse Outfall Board, Thos. G. Archer, office at Ely
Clerk to the Select Trustees of Lynn Harbour, E. M. Beloe, New Conduit street
Clerk to the School Attendance Committee of the Borough, Thomas G. Archer, King street
Collector of Customs, Thomas Hudson, Purfleet quay
Collector of Port Dues, Francis John Swatman, Common Staith quay
Commissioners for taking Bail & Affidavits in the court of Admiralty, Coroner for the Western Division of the County of Norfolk, Thomas Martin Wilkin, Deputy Coroner for the Duchy of Lancaster, Robert Alfred Wilkin, Broad street
Engineer to the Bedford Level Corporation, William D. Harding, Islington
Harbour Master & Director of Moorings, Francis John Swatman: Inspector of Nuisances, John Hall, Queen street
Lloyd's Agent & Surveyor, James Bowker, Alexandra dock
Vestry Clerk of St. Margaret, John Jas. Coulton, King street
Surveyor of Taxes, Cas. Hy. Rickman, Kingstaith square
Supervisor of Inland Revenue (vacant), Kingstaith square
Town Crier, John Gibson, Purfleet street

ALMSHOUSES.

Elsden's, Friar street, for 8 persons
Framingham's, London street, for 12 persons
St. James's, St James' end, for 12 persons
Valinger's, South Lynn plain, for 4 poor women
Wesleyan, or Smith's. St. James' road, for 8 poor women

PILOTS.

Mr. George Edward Winslow, headsman
Brooks, John Robert
Jones William
Creek G.
Greenacres Edward
Greenacres Samuel
Gamble John
Haines Henry
Gamble William
Harle John
Blyth George
Hart Peter
Dent William

HULL TRINITY PILOTS.
Goodson Joseph, sen.
Goodson Joseph, jun.
Forman Henry
Smith Henry

LONDON TRINITY PILOT (deep sea)
Sparkes William

NEWSPAPERS.

Lynn Advertiser, Wisbech Constitutional Gazette & Norfolk & Cambridgeshire Herald,

Lynn Journal, published on saturday morning, by Backham & Co. Purfleet quay
Lynn News & County Press, published every friday evening, by the Lynn News Co. Limited Lynn Record, published on friday evening, by Thomas Franklin Cadman, 29 St. James' street

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of service.

St. Margaret's Church, Saturday Market place, Rev. Benjamin Dal, vicar; Joseph Walker, clerk;

All Saints', South Lynn, Church lane. Rev. William Leeper M.A. rector; 8 a.m. 11 a.m. 3 p.m. St. John's, Blackfriars road, Rev. Sydenham Lyne Dixon T.A.K.C.L. vicar; 8.30 a.m. 11 a.m. St. Nicholas Chapel of Ease, St. Ann's street; William Pamment, clerk; 8.30 a.m. 11 a.m. St. Mary Catholic Church, London road, Rev. Stodart Macdonald, priest; 8.30 a.m. 10.30 a.m. Society of Friends' Meeting House, New Conduit street

_____

Baptist (Stepney), Blackfriars street, Rev. Alfred Thomas Osborne, minister; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. Baptist (Union), Paradise lane, Rev. Sam Davey Thomas, minister; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Congregational, New Conduit street, Rev. R. A. Cliff, 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Methodist New Connexion (Tabernacle), Railway road, Rev. John Sculpher, Rev. John Buck,

Primitive Methodist, London road, ministers various, 10.30 a.m. 2.30 p.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Union (Baptist), Market street, Rev. Sam Davey Thomas, minister
Unitarian (Free Christian Church), Broad street, Rev. W. R. Shanks, 11 a,m. & 6.30 p.m.
Wesleyan, London road, 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wesleyan, Tower street, Rev. William Malpas, Rev. William James Heaton, 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Salvation Army Barracks, Wellesley street, 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily 7 p.m.

SCHOOLS.

Grammar, St. James' street, head master, Rev. J. B. Slight M.A. with assistant masters
St. Margaret's National, Grey Friars road, erected in 1849, average attendance, boys 190,

All Saints' National, South Everard street, erected 1852, boys 180, girls 150, infants 170, St. John's National, Albion street, erected 1853 average attendance boys 184, girls 170, infants 150, Benjamin Bray, master; Miss Jan Gadsby, mistress; Miss Annie Green, infants' mistress
British, Black friars street, built in 1843, boys 210, girls 220, Edwin Broome, master; St. Nicholas' (mixed), North end, built 1870, Miss Harriett Ward, mistress
Infant, built 1870, Miss Lucy Garrard, mistress
School Inquiry Officer, Alfred Dow, St. James' house

RAILWAY STATIONS.

Great Eastern, William Wilson Clifton, station master
Midland & Great Northern (Lynn & Bourne Joint Committee), Francis Smith, agent
Eastern & Midlands, C. L. C. Tait, manager, Austin street
Midland, H. Drew, agent, Tuesday Market place
Great Northern, C.A. Ward, Tuesday Market place
London & North Western, cattle agent, T. King, Gaywood
Hunstanton & West Norfolk, T. P. Bond, sec.
Omnibus from the Globe hotel, Tuesday Market place & the Crown hotel, Church street,

WATER CONVEYANCE.

GRANGEMOUTH—For Edinburgh & Glasgow, once a week; Carron Co. from Alexandra dock,

HAMBURGH—The King's Lynn Steam Ship Co.'s steamers, twice weekly; HULL & NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE—East Coast Steam Ship Co. Limited, steamers twice a week

CARRIERS.
WITH THE PLACES THEY GO TO AND INNS THEY START FROM.

BARTON—Rumble, 'Maid's Head,' Tuesday Market place, tues.; Overton, 'Maid's Head,' tues. & fri
BIRCHAM— Bell, 'Bird-in-Hand,' Norfolk street, tues.; Bloy, 'Maid's Head,' Tuesday Market place, tues
BRANDON—Crisp, 'Maid's Head,' tues. & sat.
BURNHAM—Howard, 'Black Horse,' Chapel st. tues. & fri
CASTLEACRE—Mason, 'Star,' Norfolk street, tues. & sat
CLENCHWARTON—Scott, 'Plough,' King st. tues. & sat
DENVER—Sharp, 'Maid's Head,' Tuesday Market place, tues. thurs. & sat
DERSINGHAM—Davis, 'Maid's Head,' tues. & sat.; Flegg, 'Black Horse,' Chapel street, tues. & fri
DOCKING—Benn, 'Maid's Head,' tues.; Howard, 'Black Horse,' Chapel street, tues. & fri
DOWNHAM—Back, 'Star,' Norfolk st. tues. thurs. & sat.; Sharp, 'Maid's Head,' tues. thurs. & sat
FINCHAM—Walden, 'White Hart,' St. James' st. tues. & sat.
FLITCHAM—Dowdy, 'White Hart,' St. James' st. tues. & sat
FRING—Kemp, 'Maid's Head,' Tuesday Market pl. tues
GAYTON—Raspberry, 'Sun,' Norfolk st. tues. thurs. & sat;

GRIMSTON—Cutler, 'Green Dragon,' Norfolk st. tues. thurs. & sat.; Stanford, 'Bird-in-Hand,' HARPLEY—Porter, 'Bird-in-Hand,' Norfolk st. tues. thurs. & sat.; HEACHAM—Nurse, 'Green Dragon,' Norfolk st. tues. thurs. & sat
HILLINGTON—Cater, 'Green Dragon,' Norfolk street, tues. & fri
HOUGHTON—Rudd, 'Plough,' King street, sat
HUNSTANTON—Overton, 'Maid's Head,' tues. & fri,; Jarvis, 'Rummer,' St. James' street, tues. & sat
ISLINGTON—Castle, 'Maid's Head,' tues. & sat
LONDON—Sutton & Co. (John Lowe, agent), from 'Black Horse, Chapel street, daily
MAGDALEN—Blade, 'Recruiting Sergeant,' Saturday Market place, tues. & sat.
MARHAM—Winearls, 'Plough,' King st. tues. thurs. & sat
MASSINGHAM—Carlton, 'Sun,' Norfolk st. tues. thurs. & sat.; METHWOLD—Crisp, 'Maids Head,' tues. & sat
NARBOROUGH—Pooley, 'Maid's Head,' tues
NORTHWOLD—Crisp, 'Maid's Head,' tues. & sat; Chamberlain, 'Maid's Head,' tues
PENTNEY—Dye, 'White Hart,' St. James' st. tues. & sat
RINGSTEAD—Smith, 'Star,' Norfolk st. tues. thurs. & sat
RUDHAM—Dann, 'Bird-in-Hand,' Norfolk street, thurs.; ROUGHAM—Howell, 'Black Horse,' Chapel street, tues
SEDGEFORD—Mott, 'Green Dragon,' Norfolk street, tues
SHOULDHAM—Preston, 'Maid's Head,' tues. & sat; Winearls, 'Plough,' tues. thurs. & sat
STOKE—Pilgrim, 'Maid's Head,' tues. thurs. & sat.; Salmon, 'Star,' Norfolk street, tues. thurs. & sat
TERRINGTON ST. CLEMENT—Scott, 'Plough.' King st. tues. & sat.; TERRINGTON ST. JOHN—Betney, 'Red cow,' Church st. tues. & sat.; THORNHAM—Pearman, 'Black Horse,' Chapel st. tues. & sat.; Taylor, 'Shakespeare,' King street, tues
TILNEY—Bailey, 'White Hart,' St. James' st. tues. |& sat
TITTLESHALL—Stapleton, 'Black Horse,' tues. & fri
WALPOLE—Balding, 'Maid's Head,' Tuesday Market place, tues.; Robey, 'Bushel,' King street, tues.
WATLINGTON—Cason, 'Three Tuns,' Church st. tues. & sat.
WESTACRE—Eagle, 'Star,' Norfolk street, tues. & sat.; Mason, 'Star,' Norfolk street, tues. & sat
WEST NEWTON—Flegg, 'Black Horse, ' tues. thurs. & sat
WIGGENHALL ST. GERMANS—Self, 'King's Head,' Queen street, tues. thurs. & sat
WIGGENHALL ST. JOHNS [sic. Wiggenhall St. Peter?]—Yaxley, 'Bird-in-Hand,' tues
WIGGENHALL MAGDALEN—Self, 'King's Head,' tues. thurs. & sat
WIGGENHALL ST. MARY'S—Yaxley, 'Bird-in-Hand,' tues
WINCH (EAST)—Dye, 'White Hart,' St. James' street, tues & sat
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, June 2005, with minor corrections, October, 2005. Links updatd 29th March 2012.

Note: The listing of Private Residents and Commercials on pp 379-388 has not been transcribed. Individual names will be listed in response to e-mail requests.

1891 Census Names Index
King's Lynn Union Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
Will of Thomas Shearman. 1704
Index of Marriages for Lynn St. Margaret (1670-1710) [Alan Gresley]
Index of Marriages for South Lynn (1746-1800) [Alan Gresley]
White's 1883 for Lynn St Edmund (North Lynn) [Nigel Pendall];
White's 1883 for West Lynn [Nigel Pendall]
King's Lynn Town Mill (watermill) [Jonathan Neville]
Boal steammill, King's Lynn [Jonathan Neville]
Kettle watermill, King's Lynn [Jonathan Neville]
Oyle watermill, King's Lynn [Jonathan Neville]
Almshouse Lane postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Blackfriar's road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Fairstead postmill [Jonathan Neville]
St. Anne's smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
South Lynn smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
The Kettle smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
The Walk postmills [Jonathan Neville]
"Postcard from King's Lynn" [Eastern Daily Press]
Remains of St. James' church [Simon Knott]
More on King's Lynn [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Lynn Regis [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More Parish Information on King's Lynn, St. Margaret [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see More Pubs in Lynn
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page