Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Complete transcription [Jonathan Neville]
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary, 1831 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Itteringham (& Mannington) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Mannington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Mannington

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.389.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

MANNINGTON ia a parish and village 5 miles north-west from Aylsham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth. archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church is in ruins. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with that of Itteringham. joint yearly value 272, in the gift of the Earl of Orford, and held since 1856 by the Rev. Peter James Elwin, of St. Bees. The Earl of Orford is lord of the manor and sole landowner, and resides at the Hall, an ancient irregular building of stone and black flints, lying very low and surrounded by a moat. The soil is light; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass.. The area is 548 acres; rateable value, 572; the population in 1881 was 8.—Letters through Norwich. The nearest money order & yelegraph office is at Aylsham

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Complete transcription [Jonathan Neville]
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary, 1831 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Itteringham (& Mannington) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]