MANNINGTON, a small parish, 5 miles N.N.W. of Aylsham, has 2 houses, 12 souls, and 549 acres of land, the property of the Earl of Orford, and in the two farms called the Hall and Mere, the former occupied by Mr. Wm. Gay, and the latter by Mr. Jno. Cook, of Thwaite. Wm. Summer, who built the hall, had license to make a castle of it, on the battlements of which were placed several small guns. The Church was built by the Earl of Pembroke, but has long been a neglected ruin, and its discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £5, is consolidated with Itteringham.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2003; links updated January 2011.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
1841 Census Complete transcription [Jonathan Neville]
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary, 1831 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Itteringham (& Manington) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]