MARHAM or Cherry Marham, a parish and considerable village, 8 miles E.N.E. of Downham, comprises 905 inhabitants, 185 houses, and 4,000 acres of land, a great portion in large open fields, having some of the finest grass turf in the county. It was formerly noted for its great abundance of cherries and walnuts; but most of the trees of the latter were cut down during the late war, and sold to gun-makers. Sir Thos. Hare, Rt. G. Winearls, and Hy. Villebois, Esqrs., are the principal land owners; and the former and the latter are lords of the manors. Here was a nunnery for Cistersians, founded in 1251; some remains of which may be seen in a farmhouse, a little west of the Church, a large edifice, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, which has recently been ornamented with a memorial window to the late Hy. Villebois. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £434, was augmented in 1738 with £200 Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 the gift of the Rev. E. Brooke. The advowson and appropriation of the rectorial tithes belong to St. John's College, Cambridge. The Rev. Arthur Browne, M.A., is the incumbent. The rectorial tithes are commuted for £640, and the vicarial for £371. Here was formerly another Church, some traces of which are still to be seen. Two Poor's allotments, 200a., is used for cutting fuel on, and the herbage let for about £35, which is given among the most necessitous. The National school was built in 1841 at the cost of £400. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. Post Office at Eliz. Parish's; letters arrive at 10 a.m., and leave at 3.30 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
Lewis' 1832 [GENUKI-NFK]
Marham postmill and Marham smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Marham [GENUKI-NFK]
Other Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page