Market Weston, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on MarketWeston [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Market Weston

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.978.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

MARKET WESTON is a parish 9 miles south-east from Thetford, in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn hundred, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Blackbourn, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure, in the Early English and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel and nave, square tower with 5 bells, and a fine Norman porch. The register dates from the year 1567. The living is a discharged rectory, having a commuted tithe-rent charge of £330, with residence and 16 acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs. Wilkinson and held since 1876 by the Rev. John Durbin Gray M.A. of Bailliol College, Oxford. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The fair formerly held here is now extinct. George Holt Wilson esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Thomas Thornhill esq. M.P., D.L., J.P. and the Rev. R. Maul. The soil is mixed; subsoil clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,090 acres; rateable value £1,665; the population in 1881 was 294.


POST OFFICE.—Thomas Goode, receiver. Letters through Thetford, arrive at 8.0 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hopton, the nearest telegraph office is at Garboldisham

A National school was built in 1873 at the expense of the late rector & landowners, at a cost of £214; it is a brick building, and is attended by about 50 children; Miss James, mistress

 

Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014

More on MarketWeston [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page