MARKSHALL (or MATTISHALL HEATH) is a parish 2½ miles south from Norwich, in the vale of the river Tas, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Henstead union, Norwich county court district, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The church was desecrated in 1695; some remains of it are still to be seen. The living is a rectory, annexed to Caistor St. Edmund, joint yearly tithe rent-charge £461, with 59 acres of glebe and residence in Caistor, in the gift of Mrs. Arthy, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Anthony South Morse B.A. of Corpus Chrsti College, Cambridge. Mrs. Dashwood, who is lady of the manor, and F. W. Kellett Long esq, are the landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat,barley and roots. The area is 2,280 acres; rateable value, £2,195; there are only seven houses, and the population in 1881 was 54.
Letters through Norwich, viā Caistor. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Norwich
This place is included in the United School Board District of Poringland, formed in 1874. The school is at Framingham Earl
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Lewis' 1831 [GENUKI-NFK]
Caistor St. Edmund (& Markshall) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Markshall [GENUKI-NFK]