1891 Census Names Index
JERMYs of Marlingford [John Millman]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Marlingford watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Bawburgh road towermill and Honingham road towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Marlingford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Marlingford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Marlingford

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 389-340.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

MARLINGFORD is a parish and scattered village in the Yare valley, 6 miles west-by-south from Norwich and 5½ north-west from Wymondham station, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a building of flint and rubble in the Decorated and Early English styles: it has a chancel, nave, north aisle and square tower containing 1 bell and south porch: in 1881 the church underwent thorough restoration, the whole roofed with tiles (it having been previously hatched), at the same time the south porch was renewed, and the north aisle rebuilt on the old foundations, the chancel was refitted, the whole at a cost of over £1,000: the south entrance is through a Norman arch: there is likewise a Norman font (restored), a new pulpit, two piscinae, and the staircase formerly leading to the rood loft was restored and now gives access to the pulpit. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged rectory, with residence, and about 35 acres of glebe, tithes commuted at £162, in the gift of Thomas L'Estrange Ewen esq. and held since 1880 by the Rev. George Richards D.D. of Pembroke College, Oxford. Marlingford Hall, a Tudor building, is the seat of Benjamin Edgington Fletcher esq. who is lord of the manor and with the Rev. H. E. Lombe B.A., J.P. and J. W. Rose esq. chief landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and hay. The area is 674 acres; rateable value, £1,190; the population in 1881 was 226.

POST OFFICE.—Mrs. Mary Bean, receiver. Letters through Norwich arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. The money order & telegraph offices chiefly used are those of Wymondham & Norwich.

A handsome parish school, with house for the mistress, was erected by Mrs. Green in 1870, for the education of the children of the parish, & is supported by voluntary contributions; Miss Elizabeth Howes, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy) Apling, March 2005; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
JERMYs of Marlingford [John Millman]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Marlingford watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Bawburgh road towermill and Honingham road towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Marlingford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Marlingford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page