MARTHAM is a village and parish, and a station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, about 10 miles north-north-west from Yarmouth, in the Northern division of the county, incorporated hundred and union of East and West Flegg, county court district of Great Yarmouth, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The village is large and delightfully situated onrising round above the marshes, having several handsome and well-built houses, with some good shops. The church of St. Mary is a fine structure, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a lofty square tower of fine proportions, with embattled parapet and containing 6 bells and south porch; it is chiefly of the Early Perpendicular period, and was probably erected in the reign of Richard II.: the whole has been restored, and the chancel, which is in the Florid Gothic style, entirely rebuilt in 1855, at a cost of nearly £8,000, given by Mrs. Catherine Alice Dawson, now Mrs. Major Longley, daughter of the Rev. George Pearse M.A. to whom there is a raised altar-tomb: the east window is very handsome and stained: a stained window was placed in the chancel to the memory of Mrs. Pearse by the family; the font, which is ancient, is octagonal, and sculptured with the Seven Sacraments of the Catholic church and The Last Judgment in panels: the ancient stained glass is very curious: the carving of the old doors on the porch is very good. The register dates from the year 1558, and is an excellent state of preservation. The living is a discharged rectory, yearly rent-charge £363 17s. 9d. with residence and 8 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held since 18765 by the Rev. George Merriman M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford; the great tithes belong to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. Roger Gunton in 1160, gave the church to the prior and convent of Norwich "for the redemption of his soul." The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. There are charitable bequests for the poor of the parish; also 78 acres of land, which were awarded at the Enclosure in 1812. Richard Knights, John Love, jun. and the Rev. B. Rising are the chief landowners, and there are a number of small landowners in the parish. Alfred Mabot Wiseman esq is lord of the manor. Martham Broad, extending over several acres, is in the north of the parish. The soil is light mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,644 acres; rateable value, £6,569; the population in 1881 was 1,097.
CESS. 1 miles west, and DAMGATE, 1 mile east, are hamlets in this parish.
Parish Clerk, William Hayton.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office.Frederick Green, postmaster. Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 6.20 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.
INSURANCE AGENTNorwich Union Fire, F. Green
Railway Station, John Say, station master
Registrar of Births & Deaths for the West Flegg Sub-district, Anthony Crisp
A Free school was founded here pursuant to the will of Christopher Amis, who left £110 for that purpose in 1622; this sum with several small donations was laid out in purchasing the school house and 5A. 1R. of land, which were exchanged at the Enclosure in 1812 for 7A. 3R. 7P. now let for £17 10s. a year, £15 of which, with the use of the house & garden, form the emolument of the master for teaching fifteen poor children; the remaining £2 10s. is expended in insurance and repairs. The Charity Commissioners issued a new scheme in 1883 for the management of the three charities (Creasy, Bowman & Amis), & named it the Martham Educational Charity. The funds are applied in paying the school fees & in gift of clothing to about 60 children, who attend the board school, the remainder is distributed to the poor of the parish in coals. A school was erected near the church in 1852 by the Rev. G. Pearse, & is now used in addition by the School Board.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1872; James Cooper, clerk to the Board
Board (mixed), built in 179, at a cost of £569, for 170 children, average attendance, 130; Alfred Roskilly, master
CARRIER TO NORWICHWilliam Hales. wed. & sat. returning the same days
Ash Rev. Henry Charles M.A. [vicar of Repps-cum-Bestwick]
Love John, The Firs
Mann Joseph, Bright Elm
Merriman Rev. George M.A. Vicarage
Normandale Rev. George Collinson [Primtive Methodist]
Rising Benjamin William, Sutfield ho
Rising Thomas Sutfield, Cess
Stovel Rev. Charles [Baptist]
Allcock John, saddler
Balls Samuel, farmer
Blyth George William, builder
Braddock Daniel,, farmer
Braddock Edwin, shopkeeper
Braddock George, watch maker & photographic artist
Bronson Benjamin, farmer &c
Brooks William, boot maker
Brown Noah, market gardener
Carter George, baker
Clarke Charles William. grocer & agent for W. & A. Gibley, wine & spirit mers
Crisp Anthony, surgeon, registrar of births & deaths for the West Flegg
sub-district of East & West Flegg union