MATLASKE is a parish about 4½ miles from Corpusty station, 7 miles north-north-west from Aylsham and 6 south-east from Holt, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Repps, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a plain edifice, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of nave, south aisle, and north and south porches (the latter being fitted and used as a vestry) and round tower with octagonal top (the chancel having fallen on March 19th, 1726); the roof of the present building was thoroughly restored in the year 1871, by subscription. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory annexed to Plumstead, yearly value from tithe £130, and 50 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duchy of Lancaster, and held since 1883 by the Rev. Herbert Wyness-Mayow of Salisbury Diocesan Theological College, who resides at Plumstead. The Rev. John Gunton is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is a light loam; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The parish comprises 472 acres; rateable value £752; and the population in 1881 was 164.
The Board School for Barningham united district is in this parish; it was opened in 1877, to hold 120 children, average attendance 80, with residence for the master; W. Wilkinson, master
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2005, with minor corrections April, 2008; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1845; and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Matlask Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Matlaske [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Goeff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page