1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
Mattishall postmill; Mill road postmill and towermill; Mill Street towermill; Norwich road smockmill and Town Lane smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village web-site [Ray Taylor]
Mattishall archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Mattishall [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Mattishall

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.392:

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

MATTISHALL is a large village and parish 3 miles east from Yaxham station on the Great Eastern railway and 5 south-east from East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a large handsome building of flint, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, and north and south porches, and a square buttressed embattled tower with 6 bells: it contains a fine wooden lectern, a copy of the one in Shipdham church: the building was restored and re-seated with open benches in 1857 and 1858. The register dates from the year 1656. The living is a discharged rectory, with the rectory of Pattesley annexed, nett joint yearly value £400, with residence and 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1862 by the Rev. Canon James Mourant Du Port M.A. late fellow of that college. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels and the Society of Friends have a meeting house. There are charities producing £96 yearly for clothing, and a fuel allotment of 60 acres, let at £71 yearly. G. D. Berney esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Rev. Charles Donne and Edward Bowyer Sparke esq of Gunthorpe Hall. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, hay and roots. The area is 2,229 acres; rateable value £5,609; the population in 1881 was 899.

________

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank. William Harmer, sub-postmaster. Letters from London & all parts arrive from East Dereham per foot post at 8 a.m. & are delivered at 8.10 a.m. Letters are dispatched to East Dereham at 5 p.m.; sundays at 10.30 a.m.

The National School built in 1872 (mixed and infants) will hold 175 children & is supported by subscription, school pence & grant; Miss Elizabeth Johnson, mistress.

CARRIER TO NORWICH. William Howes, Wednesday & Saturday, returning same days.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, March 2000; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
Mattishall postmill; Mill road postmill and towermill; Mill Street towermill; Norwich road smockmill and Town Lane smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Mattishall archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Mattishall [GENUKI-NFK]
Local village web-site [Ray Taylor]
Mattishall archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page