[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
MATTISHALL, 5 miles E. by S. of East Dereham, and 11 miles W. of Norwich, is a populous and well built village, with 261 houses, 1,045 souls, 2,238 acres of land, of which about 900a. were enclosed in 1801. William Hoy, Esq., is lord of the manor of Whinburgh : Lord Wodehouse, of Thuxton Hall and Barnham Broom ; Charles Lombe, Esq., of Thuxton Waces : Lord Bayning, of East Tuddenham-Cockfields ; T. T. Berney, Esq., of Hockering and Mattishall-Tuddenham; T. B. Evan, Esq.,of North Tuddenham-St. Clere, and Bellhouse-Hall ; and G. Cooper, Esq., of Mountney's manor. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a large Gothic edifice, with a lofty tower and six bells ; and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £7 7s. 3½d., and in 1831, at £469, in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, to which the great tithes belong. It is consolidated with the rectory of Pattesley, and enjoyed by the Rev. Thomas Paddon. The vicarage has been augmented with £200 Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 private benefaction. Pattesley rectory has been augmented with £400 Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 given by the Bishop ; and pays a modus of £8 8s. in lieu of tithes to the vicar of Mattishall. The £800 obtained as above was laid out in land, which is now let for £150 a year. Here are also 30a. of glebe. The rectorial tithes of Mattishall were commuted were [sic in] 1839 for £488 7s. ; and the vicarial for £296 6s. The Fuel Allotment, 6a. 1r. 7p., awarded in 1803, is let for about £70, and laid out in coals for the poor, who have also 17s. a year form Mowting's charity. In 1689, Mary Thompson gave a house and 8a. of land, for the poor of this parish and Mattishall Burgh, which is let for £21 a year. In 1558, Thomas Harleston bequeathed property, which, with allotments awarded at the enclosure, now comprise five tenements and about 33a. of land, let for about £90 a year. Robert Harleston left a rent-charge of £2 5s. for the poor, in the 12th of Elizabeth. Out of this income, £1 11s. is paid to the parish clerk ; £1 8s. 4d. to the poor of Mattishall-Burgh ; 10s. for a sermon ; and the residue is distributed among the poor of Mattishall. A pleasure fair is held here on the Tuesday in Rogation week. Mattishall was largely engaged in the worsted manufacture in former times. Here is a large Independent chapel, in which they are about to erect an organ. The Friends' Meeting-house in this parish is but seldom used.
Post Office at William Harmer's : letters arrive at 9 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
Mattishall postmill; Mill road postmill and towermill; Mill Street towermill; Norwich road smockmill and Town Lane smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village web-site [Ray Taylor]
Mattishall archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information of Mattishall [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page