MATTISHALL BURGH is a parish 3½ miles from Yaxham station and 6 east from East Dereham station, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Mitford, union of Mitford and Launditch, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich The church of St. Peter is a small Gothic flint edifice, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, tower and south porch. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, united with that of Hockering, joint net yearly value £739, including 20 acres of glebe here and 50 at Hockering, in the gift of George Duckett Berney esq. and held since 1856 by the Rev. Michael James Anderson M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who resides at Hockering. Thornton's charity of £10 yearly is for clothing, and the fuel allotment of 18 acres let at £25. George Duckett Berney esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Edward Bowyer Sparke esq. and the Rev. John Shouldham. The soil is mixed; subsoil chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 608 acres; rateable value £1,667; the population in 1881 was 145. — Letters received through East Dereham. Mattishall is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
The School is at Mattishall.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, March 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mattishall Burgh postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Mattishall archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Mattishall Burgh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page