Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index for Melton Constable
1891 Census Index for Burgh Parva
Directory transcripts from White's 1845 and 1854 and Kelly's 1892; 1896; 1904; and 1937 for Melton Constable
and from White's 1845 and 1854 for Burgh Parva
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Melton Constable Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Chuch of St Mary, Burgh Parva [Simon Knott]
More on Melton Constable [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Melton Constable

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.393.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, December, 2001]

MELTON CONSTABLE with BURGH PARVA is a parish, and junction station on the Eastern and Midlands railway to Lynn, Fakenham, Norwich, Yarmouth and Holt, 8 miles east-north-east from Fakenham, 6 south-west from Holt and 12 from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, hundred and county court district of Holt, Walsingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. BURGH PARVA has ever been attached to Melton Constable. The church of St.Peter is a small ancient building in mixed styles, and consists of chancel, nave, south transept and low square central Norman tower and porch: the east window is stained; the subject is the Crucifixion. The registers date from the year 1551 for Melton Constable and 1559 for Burgh Parva. The living is a rectory, with that of Burgh Parva, joint yearly value £219, in the gift of Lord hastings and held since 1855 by the Rev. Charles Norris B.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, who resides at Briston. The church of Burgh Parva is in ruins: the square tower and portions of the wall alone are standing. Melton Hall, the princely seat of Lord Hastings, is a handsome square building of brick and sstone with four fronts. The interior of which, together with the chapel, is highly finished: there is a fine collection of valuable paintings: it was granted by the Norman Conqueror to the Bishop of Thetford, of whom it was held by Roger de Lyons, whose descendants assumed the name of Melton, and sometimes signed themselves De Constable, from the office which they held under the bishop: this has been the seat of the Astleys for centuries; it stands in an extensive and well-wooded park, which is stocked with red and fallow deer: this was the second park in England where the red deer was introduced. Lord Hastings is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 2,710 acres; rateable value, £2,410; the population in 1881 was 118.


POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, & Savings Bank.—John Linder, sub-postmaster. Letters through Dereham, delivered at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.

Railway Station, Henry Bass, station master; Thomas James Weston, goods agent
© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, December, 2001; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index for Melton Constable
1891 Census Index for Burgh Parva
Directory transcripts from White's 1845 and 1854 and Kelly's 1892; 1896; 1904; and 1937 for Melton Constable
and from White's 1845 and 1854 for Burgh Parva
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Melton Constable Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Church of St Mary, Burgh Parva [Simon Knott]
More on Melton Constable [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]