LITTLE MELTON is a scattered parish, 5 miles north from Wymondham, 4 west-by-south from Norwich and 2 north-west from Hethersett satstion, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. James is a small thatched building, having chancel,, nave, aisles, with a square tower containing 3 bells, and a porch on the south side. The register dates from the year 1733. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £110, with residence. in the gft of Emmanuel Collge, Cambridge, and held since 1883 by the Rev. John Jordan Soden M.A. of that college. The poor's land of 7 acres produces £6 yearly, whcih is distributed among the aged and infirm, F. Bacon Franks esq, who is lord of the manor, and he Rev. H. E. Lombe B.A., J.P. of Bylaugh Park, are the principal landowners. The soil is of mixed nature, subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 671 acres; rateable value, £1,727; the population in 1881 was 357.
Letters through Wymondham. Hethersett is the nearest money order; the nearest telegraph offices are at Norwich & Wymondham
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1873 for the united districts of Little Melton & Colney; Rev. J. H. Payne, vice-chairman and clerk to the Board
Board School (mixed), built in 1874 at a cost of £750, for 80 childem, average attendance 71, Miss Alice Boughey. mistress