Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Humbleyard hundred
Henstead union
Norwich county court
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Melton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Little Melton towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Little Melton [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Little Melton

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 513-514

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001]

MELTON (LITTLE,) 4½ miles W. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 80 houses, 379 souls, and 670 acres of land, the chief owners of which are Chas. Lombe, Esq., and the Great Hospital, Norwich. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is covered with thatch, and has a square tower and three bells. The living is a vicarage valued in the King's book at £5 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £110, in the incumbency of the Rev. J. C. Berkley, and patronage of Emanuel College, Cambridge, to which belongs the great tithes, and 60a. of rectorial glebe. The poor's land awarded by a decree of the Court of Chancery, in the 16th of James I., and at the enclosure, in 1817, was partly exchanged in 1820, and now consists of 7a. 3r. 9p., let for £16 a-year. Here is a parochial school, supported by subscription.

DIRECTORY

John Andrews, carpenter and beerhouse ;
Mary Barnes, shopkeeper ;
Rev. Jno. Chas. Berkley, M.A., vicar ;
Miss Mary Beverley ;
Chas. and Mary Child, schoolteachers ;
Edmund Fox, plumber, &c. ;
Mary Eliz. Girling, shopkeeper ;
Mr. Wm. Hartt ;
Mr. Thos. Howard ;
Jno. Wright Lovett, corn miller.
Farmers
Thos. Dove Aldred,
Robt. Child,
John Coggle,
Thos. Forster (and par. clk.),
John Gaff,
Saml. Hipperson (and bricklayer),
Jas. Long,
Danl. Ringer, and
Francis Gray Rudd, Old Manor House.
Gardeners
Jno. Davey,
Edwd. Eadon,
Jno. Kemp, and
Jas. Webster.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Humbleyard hundred
Henstead union
Norwich county court
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Melton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Little Melton towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Little Melton [GENUKI-NFK]