Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary, 1831 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1865 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mendham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village web-site
More on Mendham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Suffolk - Mendham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 981-982.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

MENDHAM is a pleasant village and parish on the river Waveney, 2 mile south-west from Harleston railway station and 8 south-west from Bungay, in the Estern division of he couny, partly in Hoxne hundred and partly in the hundred of Earsham in the county of Norfolk, union of Hoxne, county court district of Harleston, rural deaner of Hoxne, Suffolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. In 1874 an iron bridge of 1 arch was erected over the river Waveney, which heer separates the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk. The church of All Saints is in the Perpendicular and Gothic styles, consisting of chancel, nave, with clerestory, aisles, and ornamental south porch, and square tower with 6 bells: it contains several mural monuments and tablets and three brasses to the Frestone family; the church was restored in 1867, at a cost of 1,800. The paish register dates from the year 1678. The living is a vicarage, valued in 1835 at 104, including 25 acres of glebe, with modern residence and glebe consisting of 25 acres. in the gift of the Rev. E. W. Whitaker, of Stanton-by-Bridge, and held bythe Rev. Arthur Henry Brereton B.A. of Queen's College, Cambridge. The rectorial tithes of a large portion of the parish have been purchased by the landowners. and Lord Waveney, the impropriator of the rest, whcih were, in 1841, commuted for 270, and the vicarial for 52 8s. There is a Congregational chapel situated at Harleston, in the Norfolk portion of this parish. About a mile from the church, on the Suffolk side of the river, was a priory, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, founded by william, son of Roger de Huntingfield, during the reign of King Stephen; a small portion of its ruins is still visible. The Priory is the residence of Joseph Dimmock esq. Middleton Hall, now occupied as a farm-house, is about 1 mile east, on a pleasant eminence. The parish lies in four manors, viz. Walsham Hall, Mendham, King's Hall, and Priory; John Sancroft Holmes esq. is lord of the first two and Lord Waveney is lord of the two latter. The lord of the manor, with T. Thornill M.P. Thomas Hunt and Benjamin Charles Chaston esqrs, are chief landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are barley, peas and beans. The area of the parish is 2,944 acres, of which 780 are on the north bank of the Waveney, in Norfolk, and form part of the town of Harleston; rateable value, 4,916; the population in 1881 was 531 in Suffolk, and 246 in Norfolk


POST OFFICE RECEIVING HOUSE, J. H. House, receiver. Letters through Harleston, which is also the nearest money order & telegraph office; dispatched at 6 p.m. on weekdays only

INSURANCE AGENTS.—County Fire, Chaston & Bignold

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874, with Withersdale contributory with 2 members; G. Good, Harleston, clerk to the Board.

Board School, built in 1876 for 140 children; average attendance 90' William Garrett,master; Mrs. E. Garrett, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary, 1831 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1865 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mendham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village web-site
More on Mendham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]