MENDHAM, a parish, partly in Norfolk and partly in Suffolk, comprises 877 souls, and about 3,000 acres of land, of which 291 souls and 1,200 acres are in Norfolk, adjoining Harleston ; and all the rest of the village, with the church, are in Suffolk, 2 miles S.E. of Harleston. Dove House, and several scattered residences near Shotford-bridge, are in the Norfolk part of the parish. Mrs. Holmes is lady of the manor of Walsham hall, and Sir R. S. Adair, Bart., is lord of the manors of Mendham hall, King's hall, and owner of Shotford hall estate. Part of the great tithes have been purchased by the land owners, and Sir R. S. Adair is impropriator of the remainder, which are commuted for £270. An Independent chapel, endowed with an estate at Topcroft, is in the Norfolk part of the parish. The names of the chief residents are included in Harleston Directory.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2002; links updated January 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary, 1831 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1865 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mendham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village web-site
More on Mendham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]