1891 Census Names Index
Wayland hundred
Wayland union
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Kelly's 1937
Merton History pages
Merton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Merton Church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Merton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Merton
More on Merton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Merton

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, p. 862

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

MERTON, commonly called Martin, is a small village 1½ mile S. by W. of Watton, and its parish comprises 31 houses, 188 souls, and 1349a. 2r. of land, all the property of Lord Walsingham, who resides in the Hall, a handsome brick mansion in the Elizabethan style, erected on the site of the old one, about the year 1610. It was thoroughly repaired and the interior modernized [sic] by the late lord, about 20 years ago. At the north front is a curious gateway with a clock. The surrounding pleasure grounds have been greatly improved, and are richly wooded: some of the oaks in the park are of great age and size. William the Conqueror gave this manor to Ralph Baynard. The heiress of Fulk Baynard, Esq., carried it in marriage to Sir Thos. de Grey, who settled here in 1337. His descendant, Sir Wm. de Grey, Knt., was born here in 1719, and after being successively Solicitor General, Attorney General, and Lord Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, was created Baron Walsingham of Walsingham, on Oct. 17th. 1780. He died in 1781, and was succeeded by his son, Thomas de Grey, who died in 1818, when his son, George de Grey, succeeded. The latter died about 1831. and was succeeded by the late lord, who died in 1839, and was succeeded by his eldest son, the Rt. Hon. Thomas de Grey, the present baron. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Peter, stands in the park, and has a round tower and three bells. In the chancel are several monuments of the noble family of de Grey, with fine brasses. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £6 0s. 5d., is in the gift of Lord Walsingham, and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Crabbe, B.A., who resides at the rectory house, a handsome building erected in 1851, by Lord Walsingham. It stands within the bounds of Thompson parish, and near the verge of Merton parish. The tithes are commuted for £200. The Town Estate consists of 5 cottages and 5a. of land, let for £20 5s., applied with the church and poor rates. The poor have 20s. a year, left by Sir Wm. de Grey.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Wayland hundred
Wayland union
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Kelly's 1937
Merton History pages
Merton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Merton Church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Merton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Merton
More on Merton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page