METHWOLD is a parish and town, 4½ miles north-west from Stoke Ferry station on the Great Eastern railway and 6 north-west from Brandon, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norwich and diocese of Norwich, on the road from Brandon to Lynn. The church of St. George consists of a Perpendicular nave and aisles, and a Decorated chancel, the two side walls of which have also been pierced for Perpendicular windows: the tower, also Perpendicular, is surmounted by an octagon in stone, which carries an elegant stone spire, and has the bases of pinnacles remaining at its angles. The register dates from the year 1686. The living is a discharged vicarage, yearly vale £340, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1873 by the Rev. John Denny Gedge B.A. of Hertford College, Oxford. There is a large Wesleyan chapel, built chiefly of flint in 1837; also a chapel for Primitive Methodists, a building of brick and stone, built in 1866. The charities amount to £67 yearly. Here are six almshouses erected in 1880 by Mr. W. J. Coote, who left the rent of one dwelling-house for keeping them in good repair. Here is a reading and news room well supplied with newspapers and periodicals. Here is a sub-branch of Gurney's bank, at Thetford, open every Monday. A flourishing market for cattle and corn is held here on Mondays, and a fair for cattle is held on April 23rd. The warren which formerly covered 1,500 acres, is about half under cultivation, the remainder being used as a sheep walk. The Crown, in right of the Duchy of Lancaster, is owner of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is a mixture of fen peat, light loam, sandy and strong gault; subsoil, chalk and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 13,912A. 3R. 9P.; rateable value, £12,083; the population in 1881 was, in Methwold High Town 962; in Hythe 190; and on the Fen 301; total 1,453
METHWOLD HYTHE, 1½ miles west-by-north of the town, is part of the parish, and consists of a few farmhouses and one public-house. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. There are also a considerable number of houses along the Sams cut, in the south-western division of the fen, amounting to a hamlet, and generally known as POPPYLOT: a road was constructed through the district from Feltwell to Southery and opened in 1881.
Parish Clerk, Robert Wright Flatt.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank. Robert Wright Flatt, postmaster. Letters arrive by mail cart from Brandon at 4.0 a.m.; dispatched at 7.35 p.m. Northwold is the nearest telegraph office
Manchester Fire, E. Banham
Royal Exchange, W. Coates
Inland Revenue Officer, James Kingdom
The National school erected in 1858 for 200 children, average attendance 170, is principally supported by the Duchy of Lancaster, with a contribution of £80 yearly. Another school house was in 1875 built at Hythe, which is partly supported by the parishioners. For the western parts of the parish provision is made by the Southery School Board, to which Methwold is contributory
National, Thomas Croxall, master
National, Hythe, average attendance 17; Miss Emma Flatt, mistress