1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Methwold Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Methwold early postmill, and Methwold Hythe postmill; Brandon road postmill and towermill;
     Great Levell postmill; Hythe road postmill; Old Feltwell road postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Methwold web-site
More on Methwold [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Methwold

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Norfolk, 1925, pp.273-5.

[Complete entry. Transcription © Copyright John Baldry, June 1999.]

METHWOLD is a parish and small town on the road from Brandon to Lynn. 4 miles south-west from Stoke Ferry terminal station on a branch of the London and North Eastern Railway and 6 north-west from Brandon, in the South Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Feltwell, archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely. The Church of St. George is an edifice of clunch and freestone, with a tower of flint and freestone, and consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower, with a square lower stage and an octagonal belfry, surmounted by an elegant stone spire and containing a clock and 6 bells: the chancel is Decorated, but has Perpendicular windows: the nave and tower are both Perpendicular and the latter retains at its angles the bases of pinnacles: the roof is of the15th century, with alternate tie and hammer beams; the former are adorned with shields and figures of cherubs, the latter supported by angels bearing wreaths, crowns or other emblems: the roof of the north aisle has handsomely moulded principals on grotesque carved corbels: the chancel retains a Decorated piscina, and the north aisle is one of Perpendicular date: an oak rood screen with a roof loft was placed in the church in 1909 by the Rev. E.A.Matravers, vicar 1902-1913, and his two brothers in memory of their parents: there is a brass dated 1367 to Sir Adam de Clifton: the church affords 370 sittings, 120 being free. The register dates from the year 1683. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1925 by the Rev Henry Stanley Stephenson M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. There was once an older church situated at the edge of the close on which still stands the tithe barn of the Augustinian Priory of Brumwell ( later Broomhill ), founded by Sir H. de Plaiz in the reign of King John, and dedicated to SS. Mary and Thomas, of which various remains have been disinterred; it was probably the church of the original Saxon settlement of the Buntings, by which last name the lower part of the village is still known. The Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1831, is an edifice chiefly of flint; the Primitive Methodist chapel, errected in 1866, is of brick and stone. A cemetary of about 4½ acres was opened in May, 1902, at a cost of £450, and is under the control of the Parish Council. Batchcroft's and other charities ammount to £30 yearly, and Miss Clough's dole to £10 yearly. There are six almshouses, built in 1880, by Mr W.J.Coote, who left the rent of one dwelling-house for keeping them in good repair. A sub-branch of Barclays Bank Ltd. at Thetford, is open here every Monday. A new county police station with court room attached was erected in 1901, and the petty sessions for the district of Grimshoe, formerly held at Mundford. are now held here. St Georges Hall errected in 1893, is used for public entertainments, and will seat about 500 persons. A flourishing market for cattle and corn is held here on Mondays, and a fair for cattle is held on April 23rd. The Warren, which formerly covered 1500 acres is now under cultivation to the extent of one half, the remainder being used as a sheepwalk and rabbit warren. Near the north gate of the churchyard is the shell of a Jacobean mansion of three floors, with an interesting gable built in chequer work of red brick and freestone. The square blocks of stone were evidently cut from the last remnants of the casing of the de Warenne residence, the brick portions having served to build the present church. This Jacobean mansion was formerly the residence of the Peck family, of Samford Hall, Essex, Wood Pelling, Norfolk, and Methwold, and their arms --on a chevron gules, between 3 crosses or, pattées, 2 lances in saltier-- appear near the top of the gable, carved in stone and framed in moulded brickwork. The Crown, in right of the Duchy of Lancaster, are lords of the manor, and Col. T.C.N.Hardinge, W.A.Towler esq. and the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries are the principle landowners. The soil is a mixture of fen peat, light loam, sandy and strong gaults; subsoil, chalk and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 13,341 acres of land and 29 of water: rateable value, £9,745; the population in 1921 was 1,195.

METHWOLD HYTHE, anciently called Ottering Hythe, 1½ miles west-by-north of the town, is part of the parish and consists of a few farmhouses, some cottages and a small Wesleyan chapel. There are also a considerable number of houses along the Sams cut, in the south western division of the fen, amounting to a hamlet and generally known as Poppylot ( originally spelt Poplot or Powplot ) ; a road, constructed through the district from Feltwell to Southery, was opened in 1881.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office. - Mrs Florence Corfield, sub-postmistress. Letters through Brandon, Suffolk.

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION OF GRIMSHOE.

Petty sessions are held at the County Police station the first tuesday in every month at 11am. The following places are included in the petty sessional division:- Buckenham Tofts, Colveston, Cranwich, Croxton, Feltwell, Hockwold, Ickborough, Lynford, Methwold, Mundford, Northwold, Santon, Stanford, Sturston, Weeting & West Tofts.

County Police Station, Inspector Stephen Culley, in charge & 7 constables.

SCHOOLS:-

Carriers to Brandon ( pass through ). Walter J. Crisp & Ernest Crisp, from Northwold, mon. wed. & fri, & to Lynn on tues. thurs. & sat.


© Complete entry. Transcription Copyright John Baldry, June 1999; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Methwold Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Methwold early postmill, and Methwold Hythe postmill; Brandon road postmill and towermill;
     Great Levell postmill; Hythe road postmill; Old Feltwell road postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Methwold [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page