Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sustead (& Metton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Metton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Metton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 395.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

METTON is a parish 3½ miles south from Cromer, 7 from North Walsham and 4 north-west from Gunton railway station, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Repps, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Amndrew is a small stone building in the Gothic tyle, consising of chancel, nave and tower with 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1738. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with that of Felbrigg, joint yearly value £310, in the gift of Robert William Ketton esq. of Felbrigg Hall, and held since 1872 by the Rev. James Simpson M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. The trustees of the late W. H. Windham esq. and Robert William Ketton esq. who is lord of the manor, are the chief landowners. The soil is a loam, with subsoil of red sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and hay. The area is 660 acres; rateable value, £957; the population in 1881 was 98.


Letters through Norwich, viä Roughton. The nearest money order office is at Cromer & telegraph office at Hanworth

This parish is included in the Aylmerton United School Board district, formed in 1874

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sustead (& Metton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Metton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]