1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Methodist Church, Blakeborough End [Simon Knott]
Middleton North early postmill and early south postmill, East Winch road postmill, Blackborough End tower mill;
     Mill Farm north postmill and south postmill; and Middleton watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Middleton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Middleton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Middleton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 395-396.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

MIDDLETON is a parish and village, with a station 1 miles north from the village, on the Lynn and Dereham railway, 4 miles south-south-east from Lynn. in the Western division of the county, hundred and Freebridge Lynn union. county court district of Lynn. rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient structure in the Early English style, having chancel, nave, asles and square tower containing 1 bell: the chancel was restored in 1862, when an east window, representing the Crucifixion, presented by E. L. Wood esq. was inserted: the west window was presented by Sir Lewis Wincop Jarvis: the church was re-seated in 1880 at a cost of 300, raised by subscription. The register dates from the year 1560: here is also a list of the vicars from the year 1598. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 315 with residence, in the gift of A. Russell esq. of East Mosely, Surrey. and held since 1872 by the Rev. Alfred Oliver Russell, of St. John's College, Cambrdge. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel, built in 1860. Curle's charity, of 1 7s. yearly is for poor widows. In the vakle of the Nar, 1 mile south, are the ruins of Blackbrough Priory, which was founded in the time of Henry II. for Benedictine nuns. In a vale, 1 mile north-east. is Middleton Towers, which has been restored and enlarged, and is now the residence of Sir Lewis Wincop Jarvis D.L. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light sand and loam, with a llttle fen; subsoil, carr stone, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The parish contains 2,904 acres; rateable value, 5,431; and the population in 1881 was 879.

BLACKBOROUGH, 2 miles distant, TOWER END, quarter of a mile distant, and FAIR GREEN, three-quarters of a mile distant, are hamlets.


POST OFFICE.—John Jall, receiver. Letters arrive from Lynn at 7.0 a.m.; dispatched at 5.25 p.m.; sundays arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 11.40 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at East Winch

WALL LETTER BOX at Blackborough, cleared at 5.10 [.m. week days only

National School (mixed), William John Thistle, master; Frederick Giles, assistant master

Railway Station, William David, station master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Methodist Church, Blakeborough End [Simon Knott]
Middleton North early postmill and early south postmill, East Winch road postmill, Blackborough End tower mill;
     Mill Farm north postmill and south postmill; and Middleton watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Middleton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Middleton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page