Village information site [Suffolk tourism]
Catholic church of St. John (Simon Knott)
Pubs in Mildenhall [pubsindex]
More on Mildenhall [GENUKI-SFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Mildenhall, Suffolk

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 984-988.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

MILDENHALL is a market and union town, head of a county court district and polling place for the Western division of the county, in Lackford hundred, Fordham rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry, Ely diocese and Canterbury province. The parish comprises MILDENHALL HIGH TOWN and the watches of BECK ROW, HOLYWELL ROW and WEST ROW. The town is pleasantly situated on the navigable river Lark and next the borders of Cambridgeshire, 22 miles north-east from Cambridge, 15 east from Ely, 9 north-by-north-east from Newmarket, 11½ northwest from Thetford, 12 north-by-north-west from Bury, 5 north from Kennet station on the Newmarket and Bury branch railway, 7½ from Mildenhall Road station on the Ely and Norwich railway and 9½ from Brandon railway station: a line of railway is being constructed from Cambridge to this place, and is expected to be open for traffic in the latter part of 1884. The town is lighted with gas and has a good supply of excellent water. The church of St. Andrew, is a magnificent building of stone and clunch, of mixed styles of architecture: it consists of chancel, (of the Early English and Decorated periods), nave with clerestory, aisles, vestry, embattled tower 120 feet high, containing 6 bells and clock, and two fine Gothic porches on the north and south sides: there is also an entrance on the west under the tower, a very rich example of Perpendicular work with fan tracery roof, divided from the nave by a wood and glass partition: here is the tomb of Sir Henry de Barton, Lord Mayor of London in the time of Henry VI, under whose auspices the metropolis was first lighted; also an ancient iron-bound chest: in the chancel are monuments to the Bradbury family, the Hunt family and Elizabeth, daughter of Lord Viscount Allen; and tombstones, one in Purbeck marble, with an incised floriate cross to Sir Richard de Wichforde, founder of the chancel, one within the chancel rails to the Grimand family, one to Hugh Hovel, dated 1690; a brass to Mary Warner, daughter of Sir Robet Wingfield, 1601: there are also a double and single piscina and sedilia: the east window, with its curious arrangement of tracery, is unique in England, and, with some of the other windows, contains fragments of stained glass: the vestry, supposed to be the original church, is much admired for its fine roof and early lancet windows: here are two tombstones, one to Hugh Battely, 1767, the other to Giles Emily, 1777: in the nave is a handsome carved oak pulpit, with stone pedestal and steps, erected in 1875 in memory of James Read, solicitor,for fifty-three years churchwarden; a brass reading-desk in memory of G. Singleton in 1873, and an ancient stone carved font: here are monuments to Sir T. C. Bunbury, bart., who sat for forty-six yesrs as one of the representatives for the county of Suffolk in Parliament, dated 1821, and two to the North family, and tomstones to R. Whiting, 1771; J. Andrews, 1826; Charles Morley, 1812; Charles Skipp, 1825; two having incised men in armour and a fine brass: in the south side lie the effigies of Sir Henry North and his lady, and there are monuments to Lady E. Bunbury, 1762; Sir W. Bunbury, 1744; Swale and Biggs: the east window has been recently filled in with stained glass, the subjects being "The Ascension" in the upper lights, "the Crucifixion" in the centre, and "The Last Supper" in the lower: it was erected by public subscription: there are two stained windows in the chancel, one to William and Henrietta Livingstone, of Westport, Ireland, erected by their son, the preent vicar, the other to Col. Oliphant, chairman of the East India Company, erected by subscription: the south chancel window is filled with stained glass in memory of James Peake, erected by his wife: in the north aisle is an organ, and a piscina in one of the columns: here are monuments to Frederick Wing and S. M.Raven, and tombstones to N. Grannise, dated 1758; W.Lawsell, 1728; W, Skinner, 1737; John Wing, 1797; W. Isaacson, 1803; John Richman, 1840, and others illegible: the carved wood roofs of the nave and north aisle deserve particular notice, angels with outspread wings forming the hammer-beams wih various scriptural subjects in the spandrels, and figures of saints for the pendant posts; the roof of the south aisle has the swan and antelope, the badges of Henry V.; the church was re-pewed and repaired in 1851, the tower restored in 1864, and the south aisle in 1875; it has sittings for 1,000 persons: a grant of £100 towards the re-pewing of this church was made by the Incorporated Society for promoting the enlargement, buildng and repairing church and chapels, on condition that 477 seats should be reserved for the use of the poorer residents of this parish for ever: there are three other churches in this parish, one at West Row,one at Beck Row and one (iron), at Kenny Hill. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £660, chiefly from 327 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Sir Charles James Fox Bunbury bart. and held since 1877 by the Rev. Arthur Guiness Livingstone, M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyans and strict Baptists. On the north side of the town is a Cemetery of two acres, with a mortuary chapel in the centre, opened in 1856; Sir Charles F. Bunbury bart. gave the ground, the cost of laying out being £400; a lodge was given by Mrs. Gathercole Button of Birmingham, in memory of her husband: here are almshouses, founded in 1722 by Sir Thomas Hammer, for four poor widows, and several other small charities, amounting in the whole to £150 yearly. The market cross is of the time of Henry V. constructed of timber, hexagonal in form and roofed with lead. A Horticultural Show is held here annually. A Cottage Hospital was established here in 1868 with eight beds; the average number of patients during the year is 54; here is the large corn mill of Messrs. Owers, worked by water and steam power: there are some good shops, hotels and inns; the market day is Friday. The Manor House, the seat of Sir Charles Fox Bunbury bart. is a noble edifice, built at the time of Charles I. by Sir Henry North bart.; it is in the Elizabethan style, surrounded by lofty trees, with pleasure grounds attached: the north wing is used as a girls' school: Sir Charles, who resides chiefly at Barton Hall, Bury St. Edmunds, is lord of the manor and chief landowner, but there are several smaller owners. The soil is light and sandy; the subsoil, chalk, and in the Fen districts clay. The chief crops are cereals. The area, including woods is 10,700 acres, this being the most extensive parish in the county; rateable value, £16,996; and the population of the entire parish in 1861 was 3,764; the population of the town is 1,381.

West Row. 2½ miles west is a large straggling village. The church of St. Peter was formed out of the body of the old National school and a chancel added in 1875. The Rev. Lorenzo Clutterbuck M.A. of Dublin University is the resident curate. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A Board school was erected in 1874: it is a handsome white Suffolk brick building, in the Elizabethan style, and will hold 238 scholars. Fruit and vegetables are grown here in abundance, and sent to London and other markets. The population in 1861 was 1,021.

Beck Row is a watch, 2 miles north-west. A church, St. John the Evangelist, was erected in 1876 by private subscriptio at Cake Street, between Beck Row and Holwell Row, situated in a wise and scattered district; the foundation stone was laid by Lady Bunbury on the 6th March, 1875; it is a flint building, with Bath stone dressings in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south transept and bell turret: the chancel is pabed with ncaustic tiles and contains a handsome font: there are several stained windows, one, the east window, in memory of Emily Yvonne Durell, erected by her sister, Mrs. Livingstone, the wife of the present vicar: there are two in memory of Mr.John Webb, a former churchwarden, one also to his wife and one to his daughter, Mrs. Gostwick. The Rev. Robert Barber M.A. is the curate in charge.and resides at Mildenhall. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, built in 1829, for about 300. The Board school, erected in 1877, is a building of white Suffolk bricks. The population in 1861 was 704.

Holywell Row is a watch 1½ miles north,on the road to Lakenheath, and immediately adjoins the well-drained Fens. The population in 1861 was 396.

KENNY HILL is 4 miles north-west; here is a small iron church, erected in 1876, in which divine service is held every Sunday, and a small Board school in 1876. BURNT FEN is 7 miles north; WESTON DITCH is 3 miles north-west; UNDLEY COMMON is 4½ north-west-by-north; WILDE STREET is 3 miles north; these are all scattered places.

Official Establishments, Local Institutions, etc.

POST & MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office, High Street.—Charles Palmer, postmaster. Letters arrive by mail cart from Soham at5 a.m. & 1 p.m. & delivered at 7.30 a.m. Box closes at 10.30 a.m. & 8 p.m.; letters dispatched at 8.20 p.m.

POST OFFICE, West Row.—.John Philips, receiver. Letters arrive from Soham by foot post at 8.30 a.m; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. Mildenhall is the nearest money order office

POST OFFICE, Beck Row.—.John Horrex, receiver. Letters arrive from Soham via Mildenhall at 7.10 a.m; dispatched at 5.55 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Mildenhall

POST OFFICE, Holywell Row.—.Matthew Horlock, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Soham via Mildenhall at 7 a.m; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. The nearest money order is at Mildenhall

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR LACKFORD PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION
Rev. Robert Gwilt M.A. Rectory, Icklingham, Mildenhall (chairman) Sir Charles James Fox Bunbury bart D.L., Barton Hall, Bury St. Edmunds H.H. the Maharajahof Lahore, Duleep Singh, G.C.S.I. Elvedon Hall, Thetford C. H. Fison, esq. King's house, Thetford Charles Edwd. Gibbs esq. M.A. Icklingham Hall, Mildenhall Wm. Edmund Image, esq. Herringswell house, Mildenhall Edward Philippe Mackenzie essq. Downham hall, Brandon Rev. Ezekiel Sparke M.A. Rectory, Tuddenham St. Mary, Mildenhall Henry Spencer Waddington esq. D.L> Cavenham hall, Mildenhall Rev. William Walter-Poley M.A. Brandon house, Brandon Petty Sessions are held at the police station on alternate fridays at 12.30 p.m. The parishes in the petty sessional division are Barton Mills, Brandon. Cavenham, Downham, Elveden, Eriswell, Freckenham, Herringswell, Icklingham, Lakenheath, Mildenhall, Tuddenham, Wangford & Worlington

INSURANCE AGENTS:—

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:—

MILDENHALL UNION

Board Day, alternate fridays, at 10.30,at the Board room, Union Workhouse

The union of Mildenhall comprises the following places:—Barton Mills, Cavenham, Elveden, Eriswell, Freckenham, Herringswell, Icklingham, Kentford, Lakenheath, Mildenhall, Tuddenham, Wangford & Worlington. The population of the union in 1881 was 8,918; rateable value, £48,128

Clerk to the Guardians, Geo. Isaacson, Mill st. Mildenhall
Medical Officers, Lakenheath district, F. H. Harris, Mildenhall; Worlingham district, Pelham Aldrich, Mildenhall
Public Vaccinators, Lakenheath district, W. T. Angove, Mildenhall; Worlingham district, Pelham Aldrich, Mildenhall
Relieving and Vaccination Officer, George Myhill, North terrace, Mildenhall
Superintendent Registrar, George Isaacson, Mill street, Mildenhall; deputy, John Goodrich, Claremont cottage, Mildenhall
Registrar of Births & Deaths, No. 2 Lakenheath sub-district, George Myhill, North terrace, Mildenhall; No. 1 Worlingotn sub-district, J. W. Williams, Mill street, Mildenhall; Deputy, Thomas K. Abbott, St. Andrew street, Mildenhall
Registrar of Marriages, Francis Edward Bloss, Mill Street. Mildenhall
Workhouse, C. A. Jessup, master; P. Aldrich, medical officer; Mrs. J. Jessup, matron

RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY

Clerk, George Isaacson, Mill street, Mildenhall
Medical Officer of Health, W. T. Angove, West street, Mildenhall
Inspector of Nuisances, John William Williams, Mill street, Mildenhall

PUBLIC OFFICERS:—

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services:—

SCHOOLS;—

Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, July 2014, links updated September 2014.

 

Village information site [Suffolk tourism]
Catholic church of St. John (Simon Knott)
Pubs in Mildenhall [pubsindex]
More on Mildenhall [GENUKI-SFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page