MILEHAM is a parish 4½ miles north-east from Fransham station on the Great Eastern railway, and 7 north-west from Dereham, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford & Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John the Baptist is an old building of flint with stone dressings, consisting of chancel, nave and square tower, and 5 new bells added in 1878: it contains several monuments to the families of Strange, Barnwell and Davy, and a brass, dated 1526, to Christopher Crow and his wife: at the west end is a handsome stained window: an organ was added in 1883. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £650, with 19 acres of glebe. in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. Charles Barnwell Barnwell B.A. and held by the Rev. Charles William Cartwright. A new rectory house was built in 1883. The fuel allotment of 26 acres produces £26 yearly, and there are charities of £14 yearly value. Here are the remains of an ancient castle, supposed to have been bult by Alan, son of Flaad, to whom William I. gave the manor. Mileham was the birthplace of Sir Edward Coke, Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench; he died Sept 3, 1634, in the 83rd year of his age, and is buried at Tittleshall in this county: there is a monument in that church. The trustees of the late Rev. Charles Barnwell Barnwell are lords of the manors of Mileham and Beeston, and the Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor of Burghwood. The Earl of Leicester, Captain Davy and the trustees of the Barnwell family are the principal landowners. The soil is light loam and clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, baley, turnips and hay. The area is 2,851 acres; rateable value £3,801; the population in 1881 was 490.
POST OFFICE. Philip Beeston, sub-postmaster. Letters through Swaffham, viā Litcham arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Litcham
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875, with Stanfield contributory with 2 members; J. Mills, clerk to the Board. The schoolhouse, now taken by the School Board, with a good house for the master, was built in 1834, re-built in 1879. The school is endowed with 3 acres of land, which let for £10 yearly
Board School. Hugh Hammond, master
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mileham postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Mileham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Mileham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page