Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Morley Church photograph [Local web-site]
St Botolph postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Morley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Morley St Botolph [GENUKI-NFK}
Other Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Morley St Peter

Norfolk - Morley St. Botolph

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 396.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

MORLEY ST. BOTOLPH is a village and parish 3 miles west-south-west from Wymondham station, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred, union, Wymomdham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of Botolph, is a stone building in the Perpendicular style, amd has a chancel, navem and square embattled tower containing 3 bells: the nave was restored in 1867 by the Rev. F. B. De Chair, then curate of the parish, in memory of his mother and sister: the chancel was rebuilt in 1880, and the interior thereof was refitted as a memorial of the late rector, the Rev. B. Beauchamp Cooper M.A.. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Morley St. Peter annexed, joint yearly value 585, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1878 by the Rev. Frederick Blackett De Chair M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. There is a fuel allotment of 10 acres, producing 24 yearly. which is given to the poor in coals. William M. Sutton esq. who is lord of the manor, and George Chalmers esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is of mixed nature; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and turnips. The area is 819 acres; rateable value, 1,576; the population in 1881 was 283.


Letters through Wymondham. Wymondham amd Attleborough are the nearest money order & telegraph offices

WALL LETTER BOX (at. Mrs. Buck's), cleared at 6.30 p.m. week days only

Here is a National school, erected in 1847, with an endowment left by the will of Elizabeth Browne, late of Colton. amounting to 8 per annum, for the education & clothing of ten poor children of the two parishes of Morley St. Botolph and St. Peter; the school is otherwise supported by voluntary subscriptions to meet the Government grant; Miss Clara Kemp, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Morley Church photograph [Local web-site]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
St Botolph postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Morley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Morley St Botolph [GENUKI-NFK}
Other Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Morley St Peter