Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Forehoe hundred
Forehoe Incorporation
Kelly's 1883
Morley Church photograph [Local web-site]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
St Botolph postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Morley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Morley St Botolph [GENUKI-NFK}
Other Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Morley St Peter

Norfolk - Morley St. Botolph

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 477

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

MORLEY ST. BOTOLPH, a village, 3 miles W.S.W. of Wymondham, has in its parish 67 houses, 291 souls, and 822a. 2r. 22p. of land, chiefly the property of Mr. Thos. Sutton, and J. T. G Browne, Esq., and comprised in the manor of Shadwells, or Cockerills, in Morley. The Church has a tower with three bells, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £14 11s. 5½d. ; and in 1831, at £595, with the curacy of Morley St. Peter annexed to it, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles B. Cooper. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1840 for £580. The rectory house, a good residence, was enlarged and beautified about 20 years ago. In 1847, a neat National school was built by Miss Morse. In 1732, Eliz. Browne, left £5 per annum for schooling ten children, and £3 for providing them with books and clothing. The Fuel Allotment, 16a. awarded at the enclosure in 1815, is let for £23 10s. which is expended in coals, for the poor of the two parishes of Morley.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Forehoe hundred
Forehoe Incorporation
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Morley Church photograph [Local web-site]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
St Botolph postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Morley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Morley St Botolph [GENUKI-NFK}
Other Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Morley St Peter