MORLEY ST. PETER is a small parish, with a scattered population 3½ miles south-west from Wymondham station, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred, union, Wymomdham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a small structure, in the Early English style, and has a chancel and nave, with a low square toer contaiing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1562. The living since 1878 is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of Morley St. Botolph, and held since 1874 by the Rev. Frederick Blackett De Chair M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who resides at Morley St. Botolph. Morley Hall, the residence of C. R. Saunders esq. is a white brick mansion, pleasantly situated and surrounded by extensive grounds. The tustees of the late J. B. Graver-Browne esq/ who are lords of the majr, and Mrs, Graver-Browne are the principal landowners. The soil is various; sibsoil. clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, bar;ey, turnips and hay/ The area is 1.015 acres; rateable value, £1,828; the population in 1881 was 135.
© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
The Morley St Peter Hoard [Wymondham College]
Morley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Morley St Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Morley St Botolph