MORNINGTHORPE is a parish and village 4 miles east from Forncett station and 10 south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The Church of St. John the Baptist is a small building of flint with stone dressings in the Perpendicular and Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and a round tower: on the north side of the chancel is a stained window in memory of Admiral Irby, and on the south side is another stained window as a memorial of his widow. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £300, with seven acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Chancellor and held since 1850 by the Rev. Edmund Nelson Rolfe M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. Ward's charity of £2 yearly is for fuel. Mrs. Irby is lady of Boyland manor and resides at Boyland Hall, a splendid mansion, situated in a valley, about 1 mile north-east from the village: it is in the Elizabethan style, and was built in 1551, and has a large lawn, extensive pleasure grounds and shrubberies: in a shrubbery near the Hall is a bust of Queen Elizabeth, removed form Tilbury House: the park extends over 150 acres, and is planted with thriving oak, fir and other trees. Morningthorpe Manor, the residence of Mrs. Howes, who is lady of the manor of Monrningthorpe, is pleasantly situated near the church, The principal landowners are Mrs. Irby, Mrs. Howes and Miss Fryer. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 986 acres of good l;and; rateable value, £1,473; the population in 1881 was 119.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated May 2010.
1891Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK)]
Morningthorpe watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Morningthorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Morningthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page