MORSTON is a parish about 1 miles from the sea-beach and 6 miles east from Wells, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, and county court district, Walsingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an Early English building, having chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, north and south porchesm and embattled tower containing 1 bell; there are a piscina and brass in the chancel, the latter dated 1596. The rmain of an ancienet screen divide the chancel from the nave and there is an old carved stone font. The register dates from the year 1548. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Stiffkey, joint gross yearly value £686, with 56 acres of glebe, in the gidt of Marquis Townshend, and held since 1845 by the Rev.Randle Barwick Brereton M.A. of St. John's College Cambridge, who resides at Stiffkey. There are charities of £20 yearly. Here is a coastguard station. The Marquis Townshend is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is most part light; subsoil,, gravel. The parish contains about 1,695A. 2R. 4P. of land, exclusive of a tract of low marshes, which are overflowed at spring tides, and is intersected by Blakeney harbour; rateable value, £1,401; the population in 1881 was 168.
Letters received through East Dereham, viā Blakeney. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Blakeney.
Paddy's Home Page
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fidden & Honor Jones]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Morston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Church of All Saints, Morston [norfolkcoast.co.uk]
Binham and beyond (Introduction to the churches of Binham, Cockthorpe, Langham, Morston, and Stiffkey) [Simon Knott]
More on Morston [GENUKI-NFK]
Other Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]