MORTON-ON-THE-HILL is a village and parish 1 mile from Attlebridge station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 8 miles north-west from Norwich and about 4½ south from Reepham station on the East Norfolk railway, situated on the river Wensum, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret, repaired in 1865, is a small ancient Gothic building of flint, consistng of chancel and nave, and a porch on the south side, with a round tower, having an octagonal top, and containing 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a discharged rectory, of the yearly value of £180, with 6 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of George Duckett Berney esq J.P. and held since 1882 by the Rev. Thomas Draper Roberts M.A. of St. Aidans. George Duckett Berney esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and chief landowner, and resides at the Hall, a fine mansion, standing on a rising ground, commanding a beautiful prospect. The soil is sand and loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 977 acres; rateable value, £944; the population in 1881 was 143.
The children attend school at Attlebridge
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; minor correction and links updated December 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Morton On the Hill Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Morton-on-the-Hill [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page