MULBARTON-with-KENINGHAM is a pleasant village and parish, scattered round a green of 47 acres, 2 miles west from Swainsthorpe station and 5 miles south-west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Henstead union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary Magdalene is an ancient structure of flint, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, square embattled tower with 5 bells and a porch on the south side: the chancel and south windows have some stained glass: the porch has been restored, and a north aisle and vestry added, and the interior thoroughly restored and re-seated since 1875: there are several marble tablets and a piscina. The register dates from the year 1687. The living is a rectory, with that of Keningham annexed, joint yearly value, tithe rent charge, £531 with 73 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of John Steward, esq. and held since 1842 by the Rev. Richard Gay Lucas M.A. of University College, Oxford. KENINGHAM has been annexed to Mulbarton since 1452: the church has long since gone to decay. Rich's charity of 10 acres produces £20, which is distributed yearly. John Steward esq. and William Henry Hackblock esq. are chief landowners, the former being lord of the manor. The soil is clay; subsoil, various. The chief crops are of the usual kind. The area is 1,348 acres; rateable value, £3,185; and the population in 1881 was 518.
POST OFFICE.Samuel Gowing, receiver. Letters are received from Norwich at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 4.50 p.m.; sunday, dispatched at 10.20 p.m. [sic. a.m.?]. Norwich is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
National School (mixed), W. D. Parsons, master
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mulbarton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Mulbarton postmill; smockmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Mulbarton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page