Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Mundesley watermill and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Mundesley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Council web-site
Mundesley
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Mundesley [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Mundesley

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 398-399.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

MUNDESLEY (or MUNDSLEY) is a parish, bathing-place and pleasant little village on the coast, commanding a fine view of the North Sea, 8 miles south-east from Cromer and 5 north from North Walsham station, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Repps, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich: it is much frequented by visitors as a watering place during the summer, having a very fine beach for bathing. Although no port, it is a landing place, where vessels load and unload on the beach cargoes of coal, corn and timber: some fishing is carried on. The church of All Saints, partly in ruins, is seated on a lofty part of the cliff and was originally a fine building, but the tower and chancel have gone to decay : a very small portion of the nave is, however, in sufficient repair to have divine servic performed in it. The register dates from about the year 1725. The living is a rectory, tithe-rent charge 170, with about 6 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duchy of Lancaster, and held since 1858 by the Rev. Edward Thomas Scott. A Mission chapel was erected in 1845. Lord Suffield is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are William Thomas Mullen esq, John Mack esq. and George Garden esq. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 674 acres; rateable value, 1,823; the populaton in 1881 was 376.


POST &, MONEY ORDER & Savings Bank.—Adonijah Haggith, receiver. Letters arrive from North Walsham at 8.45 a.m.; dispatched at 2.40 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at North Walsham.

INSURANCE AGENT.—Sun Fire, George Hastings

A Sschool Board of 5 members was formed here in 1874; George Hastings, Knapton, clerk
    Board School, Miss S. M. Harris, mistress

Coastguard Station, John Scammell & four men

COACH.—During the summer months leaves the "Royal Hotel" daily for North Walsham, returning sane day

CARRIERS TO:—
    NORWICH—Charles Bensley, to the 'Pope's Head,' St. Peter's, wed. & sat, 1 p.m.
    NORTH WALSHAM—Mrs. Martha Everard, daily, 11 a.m.

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2012.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Mundesley watermill and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Mundesley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Council web-site
Mundesley
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Mundesley [GENUKI-NFK]