MUNDFORD is a parish, pleasantly situated on the London road and southern bank of the river Wissey, 4½ miles north-east from Brandon station and 8 north-west from Thetford, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Leonard is a small plain building of flint stone, in the Early English style, having chancel, nave and tower, surmounted by a small spire: a handsome stained window has been placed in the chancel by Mrs. Lyne-Stephens, in memory of her husband. The register dates from the year 1699. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge £135 with 16 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of and held since 1881 by the Rev. Richard Thomas Parker B.A. of St. Mary Hall, Oxford. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, erected in 1873. Mrs. Lyne-Stephens is lady of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 2,050 acres; rateable value £1,197 5s.; and the population in 1881 was 285.
Parker Rev. Richd. Thos. B.A. [rector]
Thomas Rev. Thomas M.A. [curate]
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
White's 1845; 1854 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Mundford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Mundford smockmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
More on Mundford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page