1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
White's 1854; and 1883
Kelly's 1883
Mundford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Information WWI & WWII [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
More on Mundford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Mundford

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Complete entry. Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

MUNDFORD is a large village, with several neat houses, on the London road, near the river Wissey, 5 miles N. by E. of Brandon, 8 miles N.W. of Thetford, and 10 miles S. by W. of Swaffham. It has in its parish 437 inhabitants, and 1609 acres of land, exclusive of a common of 190 acres, and also 90 acres of heath, where the parishioners have a right of fuel and rabbits, but no pasturage. Most of the parish belongs to Sir Richard Sutton, lord of East Hall, but Lord Berners is lord of West Hall manor, held by the service of a rose and "spar-hawk." The CHURCH (St. Leonard) is an ancient pile, without a tower, and the living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 17s 6d., and in 1831 at £137. Sir Richard Sutton is patron, and the Rev. John Raven, B.A., incumbent. The tithes were commuted, in 1844, for £138 per annum. As noticed at page 391. [Grimshoe Hundred] Petty Sessions are held at the Crown Inn, every alternate Wednesday. Here is a School, supported by Sir Richard Sutton and the principal inhabitants. Mr. Henry Hammond has a well stocked Nursery here, covering 22 acres.

COACHES and CARRIERS from Thetford to Lynn, & from Brandon to Holt, London, &c. call at the Crown, daily

__________

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, March 1999; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
White's 1854; and 1883
Kelly's 1883
Mundford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Information WWI & WWII [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
More on Mundford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page