MUNDFORD, 5 miles N. by E. of Brandon, and 8 miles N.W. of Thetford, is a large village on the London road, its parish including 74 houses, 385 souls, and 1,609 acres of land, exclusive of a common of 190a., and also 90a. of heath, where the parishioners have a right of fuel and rabbits, but no pasturage. Sir Richard Sutton, Bart., is owner of the soil, and lord of the manor, formerly held by service of a rose and sparrow-hawk The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient edifice, the tower and west end of which has just been rebuilt; the interior neatly refitted with open seats, a new pulpit, reading desk, and organ added, and the floor covered with ornamental Staffordshire tiles. The expense has been defrayed by subscription and a rate. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 17s. 6d., and in 1831 at £137, in the patronage of Sir R. Sutton. Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. Jno. Raven, B.A. The tithes were commuted in 1844 for £138. Petty Sessions are held at the Crown Inn every alternate Wednesday. A new Police station is about to be erected here. Here is a School, supported by the lord of the manor and the principal inhabitants.
Post Office at Mr. William Upton's: letters arrive at 3 a.m., and are despatched at 8.45 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
White's 1845; and 1883
Mundford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Information WWI & WWII [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
More on Mundford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page