NARBOROUGH (or NARBURGH) is parish, station on the Lynn and Dereham railway, and very ancient village, in the Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich: it is delightfully situated of the south side of the river Nar, which is navigable for small craft from Lynn, from which place Narborough is 8½ miles east-south-east, 107½ from London and 5½ north-west from Swaffham. The church of All Saints is partly in the Early English and partly in the Perpendicular style: it was entirely restored and reseated in 1865, and consists of a chancel built of flint, nave of great antiquity and aisles, with square embattled tower with 1 bell: it contains several monuments, principally to the Spelman family, which are much admired: there are two stained windows in the south aisle, one in memory of the father of the present vicar, the other to the late Herbert C. Marriott esq.; there is also one in the north aisle, of mixed glass, some of which is old, and the shield of the Spelman arms is contained in it. The register dates from the year 1596. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with Narford, joint yearly value £508, with residence and 120 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1864 by the Rev. William Edward Allfree M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford. The Wesleyans have a chapel, built by Henry Boyce esq. Here are some charities, amounting to £45 yearly, left by the late Rev. Henry Superman, late vicar. A very considerable trade is carried on by the Messrs. Marriott, as merchants in coal, corn and timber. Traces of a high entrenchment connected with a fosse and rampart may be traced for 8 miles. Narborough Hall, the property of Joseph Critchley Martin esq. lord of the manor, is a noble ancient building, situated in a well-wooded park: the other principal landowners are J. L. Marriott esq. Henry Boyce esq. W. G. Winearls esq. and H. Villebois esq. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat. barley and turnips. The area is 3,154 acres; rateable value £3,765; and the population in 1881 was 435.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank Daniel Nuthall, receiver. Letters arrive from Swaffham at 7.50 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.20 p.m.; sunday dispatch at 10 a.m. WALL LETTER BOX at the Railway station, cleared 4.30 p.m. No collection on sundays
Here is a Parochial school of boys & girls, built in 1870; also a Sunday school, partly endowed; Edward Haydon, master
Railway station, James Chapple Smith, station master
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Narborough Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Narborough watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Narborough Bone mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Narborough [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page