1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Narborough Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Narborough watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Narborough bone mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Narborough [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Narborough

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 731-732

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

NARBOROUGH, or Narburgh, 5 miles N.W. by W. of Swaffham, and 10 miles E.S.E. of Lynn, is a village, pleasantly situated on the south side of the river Nar, which is navigable for small craft from Lynn, and has here a water mill and wharf, where much business is transacted in coal, timber, corn, malt, &c. The Lynn and Dereham Railway has a neat station about a quarter of a mile form the village, whence four trains are despatched each way daily. The parish contains 75 houses, 375 inhabitants, and 3,512 acres of land, half of which is cultivated heath, extending southward to that of Swaffham. The principal owner of the soil and lord of the manor is Chas. Chamberlin, Esq., who purchased the hall and estate of Chas. Tyssen, Esq., in 1853. The Hall is an ancient mansion of brick and stone, formerly encompassed by a moat, and built in the reign of Henry VIII. by Judge Spelman. In 1846 a handsome entrance lodge was built on the west side of the Hall, and the present owner has recently built an ornamental conservatory adjoining the west end. The late Mr. Tyssen collected here an extensive and valuable collection of coins, medals, and other antiquities, said to have cost him about £20,000, but sold after his death, by auction, for less than a tenth part of that sum. Near the hall is a lofty entrenchment, from which a large foss and rampart, extending southward along the boundary of Clackclose hundred to Eastmore fen, a distance of eight miles, may still be traced. John Brame, in a manuscript history quoted by Spelman, says, Narborough was a British city in the time of Uter Pendragon, about the year 500; that it was governed by Earl Oakenard, and stood a seven months' siege against King Waldy. At the head of the foss near the hall, Sir Clement Spelman dug up several human bones and pieces of armour, in 1600. The manor was anciently held by a family of its own name, from which it passed to the Spelmans, and from them to the Dashwoods. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square embattled tower, and formerly had a spire which was taken down in 1679. It contains several fine brasses to the Spelman family. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £9 10s. is endowed with the rectorial tithes, and is annexed to Narford. Mrs. Marriott is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Allen, M.A., incumbent. The joint benefices are valued at £508 per annum. The sum of £91, given by Wm. Harvey and other donors, was laid out in 1761, in the purchase of ten small tenements, occupied by poor families. In 1793 the Rev. Henry Spelman gave £500 stock, and directed £5 5s. to be paid out of the yearly dividends to the parish clerk for teaching the catechism to poor children every Sunday, and the remainder to be expended in books and clothing for children. By his will, dated 1803, he left £722, which was laid out in £968 5s. 7d., three-per-cent consols, the dividends of which are applied in paying for surgical aid to poor lying-in women, and in distributions of coals and money among the poor. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel. Post Office at Mr. Henry King's: letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Narborough Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Narborough watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Narborough bone mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Narborough [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page