NARFORD, 5 miles N.W. of Swaffham, is a parish and village which includes 20 houses, 116 souls, and 1,872 acres of land, all the property of Andrew Fountaine, Esq., ofNarford Hall, a handsome brick mansion with pleasant grounds. The hall was built by Sir Andrew Fountaine, who was knighted by William III., and made an extensive and valuable collection of antiquities and curiosities in art and learning, which are still deposited at Narford hall, and among them are many fine paintings, coins, bronzes, vases, and a great quantity of porcelain, bequeathed by the Duke of Urbino to the treasury of Loretto when it was seized by the French. In 1727 Sir Andrew was appointed Warden to the Mint, which office he held till his death in 1753. The late Briggs Fountaine, Esq., who died in 1825, in his 82nd year, was well learned in the ancient and modern languages, and published a translation of Don Quixote. For many years he amused himself with astronomy, having built an observatory on the hill near Narford Hall, where numerous Roman bricks and other antiquities have been found; a large brass urn was dug up in the court yard when the hall was rebuilding. In the time of the Conqueror this village is said to have been a mile in length, and in the reign of Edward III. Sir Thos. de Narford obtained for it a market and two fairs, but they have long been obsolete. The CHURCH, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has a square tower, surmounted by a wooden spire. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 13s. 4d., in the gift of Mrs. Marriott, and enjoyed with that of Narborough by the Rev.Wm.Allen. A chapel, dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket, formerly stood on the hill opposite Westacre Priory, to which it was granted by Edward IV. Andrew Fountaine, Esq., has all the land in his own occupation, and Mr. Wm. Moore is steward.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Narford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Narford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page