NEATISHEAD is a parish and village 3½ miles from Wroxham station on the North Walsham line of the Great Eastern railway, and 10½ north-east from Norwich, situated between the navigable Bure and Ant, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a small ancient building of flint and stone: the present building forms only a part of the original one, which, being in a very dilapidated state, a great portion of it was taken down in 1790, and the remainder, which is very little more than the original chancel put into good repair: the church had originally a tower with 3 bells, which, being in a bad state, were, at the time of the afore-mentioned restoration, put away and 1 new bell put up in their stead: within the last few years a new east window of cathedral tinted glass was added, by subscription, and six almost entirely new side windows of the same, were put in by R. Allen esq. of Saxlingham, all being strictly in the style of the original onesgood Perpendicularand the roof was boarded and stained inside, besides other improvements. The register dates from the year 1676. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, including 46 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1859 by the Rev. Henry Browne M.A. of Tribity College, Cambridge. Sir Jacob Henry Preston bart. gave the site for a Primitive Methodist chapel, which was erected in 1868. The funds arising from some small charities, and the fuel allotment, about £60, are distributed in coals. The manor formerly belonged to the Bishop of Norwich, but it is now vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The principal landowners are Sir Jacob Henry Preston bart. and Charles Cubitt and Jacob Neave esqrs. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, sand, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,905 acres; rateable value, £3,383; and the population in 1881 was 578.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.Josiah Henry Cooke, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Norwich by mail cart at 5.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.55 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Stalham
Parish school, enlarged & ornamented in 1863, supported by the Misses Preston, of Barton Hall: Miss Jointer, mistress
CONVEYANCE TO NORWICH.Coach from Stalham, through Neatishead, to the Royal hotel, mon. wed. & sat. returning same days at 4.45 p.m.
CARRIERS TO NORWICH.Purday from the 'White Horse,' wed. & sat. returning sam day; Hy. Eldridge, sat. returning same day
Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Neatishead tower mill and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Neatishead Parish Council
More on Neatishead [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page