1891 Census Names Index
Will of Fox Hudson, 1784
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Necton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Necton postmill and Necton towermill [Jonathan Neville]
With Giants around Swaffham (Introduction to the churches of Beeston-next-Mileham, Little Dunham, Necton and Wellingham) [Simon Knott]
More on Necton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Necton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.400-401.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

NECTON (formerly called Neighton) is a parish and village 2½ miles south from Dunham station, 4 west from Swaffham, in the Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a handsome stone building, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, with a square tower (rebuilt in 1864-5, at a cost of about £1,200) which contains 6 bells and a clock: the roof is of exquisite workmanship, below which are figures of saints, carved in oak: there are brasses and other monuments, also a fine-toned organ. The register dates from the year 1510. The living is a rectory, yearly net value £620, with good residence and 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs. A. Smythe and held since 1883 by the Rev. Francis Kohler Povah M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford, chaplain to Lord De Tabley. Mr. Andrew Young is the lay impropriator of tithes, amounting to £252 yearly. Here are Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist chapels. There are charities of about £200 yearly value, derived from rent of 137 acres, a moiety of which is given for the support of the school, and the other moiety for church purposes. There is also a village library and reading room, erected by the late Lieut.-Col. Mason. R. H. Mason esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner, resides at Necton Hall, a mansion situate in the midst of a finely-timbered park, which has been the property of the Mason family since the time of Henry VII. The soil is mixed with subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 3,748 acres; rateable value, £5,482; the population in 1881 was 793.

_____

POST OFFICE.— Robert Phillips, postmaster. Letters arrive from Swaffham at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m.; sundays at 10 a.m. Swaffham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Miss Mason, in 1866, erected good schools in a central part of the parish for boys, girls & infants, with a master's house; Arthur Street, master

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; spellomg correction and links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Will of Fox Hudson, 1784
White's 1854
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Necton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Necton postmill and Necton towermill [Jonathan Neville]
With Giants around Swaffham (Introduction to the churches of Beeston-next-Mileham, Little Dunham, Necton and Wellingham) [Simon Knott]
More on Necton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page