Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Needham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Needham postmill, Needham watermill, Luck's watermill and Weybread watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Needham [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Needham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 380

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

NEEDHAM parish has 77 houses, 335 souls, and is situated on the Diss-road, 1 mile W.S.W. of Harleston. It has 1,200 acres of land, in five manors, of which the Duke of Norfolk has paramount jurisdiction. The following are the names and owners, viz. : Bourts, F. B. Frank, Esq ; Gunshaw, Rev. T. W. Whitacker ; Denisons, Lady G. Beresford; Seymours, R K Cobbold, Esq., and Witchingham, Sir R. S. Adair ; the latter is also impropriator and patron of the perpetual curacy, certified at £15, and in 1831, at £72, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Knevett. The Church, a small fabric, was formerly a chapel to Mendham. The living has been augmented with £1000 Queen Anne's bounty, and £400 private benefactions. The Town Estate, 24a. is let for £66 10s. and applied with the poor rates. The poor have 6s. a year left by John Gowen, in 1547.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2002; links updated November 2009.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Earsham hundred
Depwade union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Needham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Needham postmill, Needham watermill, Luck's watermill and Weybread watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Needham [GENUKI-NFK]