NEW BUCKENHAM is a parish and small town 8 miles north-west from Diss, 15 south-west from Norwich, and 5 south-by-east from Attleborough station, in the Southern division of the county, Shropham hundred, Guiltcross union, county court district of Attleborough, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The town is irregularly built and consists of several small streets. The church of St. Martin is a noble structure of flint with stone dressings, in the Tudor style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles, with a square tower surmounted by four pinnacles and containing 6 bells; the nave was restored at the sole expense of John Galle esq. J.P. and the church reseated with open benches in 1879. The register dates from the year 1469. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the inhabitants, yearly value £110, with residence, and held since 1880 by the Rev. John Woods. The Wesleyan Methodists and the Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship here. Fairs are held the last Thursday in May, and November 22nd for cattle. Here are almshouses, founded by William Barber, now occupied by four old women, each of whom has an allowance of coals and receives a stipend of 2s. 6d. per week: these almshouses were rebuilt at the expense of the late Messrs. J. and J. J. Turner, in 1861. Arthur T. Clowes is lord of the manors of Buckenham Borough and Buckingham Leet, and the vicar is lord of the manor of Buckenham Priory. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late Edward Fisher Boud esq. The soil is mixed and very fertile; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 324 acres, of which 79 are common; rateable value £1,344; and the population in 1881 was 548.
The union comprises the following places:Banham, Blo'Norton, Bressingham, Bridgham, East Harling, Eccles, Fersfield, Gardboldisham, Gasthorpe, Kenninghall, New Buckenhan, North Lopham, Old Buckenham, Quidenham, Riddlesworth, Roydon, Shelfanger, South Lopham, West Harling, Wilby & Winfarthing: the population of the union in 1881 was 10,563; rateable value, £62,228 16s.
Clerk to the Guardians, Arthur Tallent Clowes, New Buckenham
Relieving Officer for the Union & Collector for the Guardians, William Henry Berry, East Harling
Vaccination Officers, Isaac Vertigen, New Buckenham & William Henry Berry, East Harling
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, No 1. district, Horace Fulcher Howard, New Buckenham; No. 2 district, Joseph Henry Wilson, Kenninghall; Nos. 3 & 4 districts, William Edward Soffe, East Harling; No. 5 district, Charles Draper Fenn, Diss
Superintendent Registrar, Arthur Tallent Clowes, New Buckenham
Registrars of Births & Deaths, No. 1, Banham sub-district, Isaac Vertigen, New Buckenham; No. 2, Kenninghall sub-district, William Henry Berry, East Harling
Registrar of Marriages, William Henry Berry, East Harling
Workhouse, Kenninghall, William Fuller Lock, master; Rev. J. F. James, Ph.D. chaplain; Joseph Henry Wilson, medical officer; Mrs. Lock, matron
RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE COMMITTEE OF GUILTCROSS UNION.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854 amd 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
New Buckenham post-mill [Jonathan Neville]
New Buckenham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on New Buckenham [GENUKI-NFK]
Other parish information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
and see Old Buckenham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page