1891 Census Names Index
New Houghton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about New Houghton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - New Houghton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.356.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

NEW HOUGHTON (or HOUGHTON-IN-THE-BRAKE, or HOUGHTON-NEXT-HARPLEY) is a parish and village 7 miles from Docking railway station, 14 north-east-by-ast from Lynn and 10 west from Fakenham, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Houghton Hall, one of the seats of the Marquess of Cholmondley, is of freestone, having two principal fronts, ornamented with cupolas at each corner, the front, with the colonnades, being 450 feet long: it was built by the celebrated minister Sir Robert Walpole, first Earl of Orford, and stands in a domain of 1,400 acres, of which 700 are wood and 760 park: the Hall stands low, and is surrounded by beautiful grounds with some fine old trees : the architect was Ripley, and it occupied thirteen years in the building. The church of St. Martin, standing in the park, is a structure of flint and stone, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles and a small tower containing 1 bell: the tower was built by the great Sir Robert Walpole, who died in 1745: the church contains some old monuments: it was repewed in 1855: the chancel was restored in 1867 by the Marquess of Cholmondeley, the lay rector, when an aumbrie was discovered, which still remains. The register dates from about 1650. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £108, with 6 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Marquess of Cholmondeley and held since 1845 by the Rev. John Henry Broome, of Queen's College, Cambridge, who has rooms in the Hall. The Marquess of Cholmondeley, with a few residents in the neighbourhood, distribute several prizes annually for the best cultivated gardens and allotments. The Marquess of Cholmondeley is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light; the subsoil is marl and chalk. The crops are wheat, oats, turnips, barley, grass, peas and rye. The area is 1,495 acres; rateable value, £1,425; the population in 1881 was 198.

POST OFFICE.—Miss Martha Groome, sub-postmistress.
Letters through Swaffham arrive at 7.50 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. East Rudham is the nearest money order & telegraph office

There is a school for 32 boys & girls, supported by the Marquess of Cholmondeley; Miss Martha Groom, mistress. Average attendance, 24

CARRIERS TO & FROM LYNN frequently pass through

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, March 2005, with minor correction November 2010..

1891 Census Names Index
New Houghton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about New Houghton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page