Newton in the Isle Parish Council web-site
More On Newton-in-the-Isle [Alan Gresley]
Genealogical Information on Newton-in-the-Isle [Forebears]
More on Newton in the Isle [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Cambridgeshire - Newton [in-the-Isle]

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.102.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

NEWTON (near Wisbech is a parish and picturesque village in the isle of Ely, situated on the Norfolk border of the county, one mile from Ferry station on the Midland branch line from Peterborough to Sutton Bridge, 4 miles north from Wisbech Great Eastern station, in Wisbech hundred, union and county court district, rural deanery of Wisbech, and in the peculiar archdiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The church of St. James is about 500 years old: the tower, porch and aisles are of good Decorated character; the nave has six drop arches with circular piers and square capitals and Perpendicular clerestory windows; the chancel is Perpendicular; there are several ancient sepulchral slabs and an old font; the east window, and also one of the north and the south windows in the chancel, are stained. The register dates from the year 1685. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £1,400 with residence, and including 400 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1851 by the Rev.George Elwes Corrie D.D. Master of Jesus College, Cambridge. The Rev. William Henry Allen M.A. of Corpus Christi. There are chapels for Free Methodists, and for Primitive Methodists, both erected in 1868. Here are almshouses for four poor widows, unendowed, let at a nominal rate. Edward High Jackson esq. is lord of the manor; and the Rev. G. E, Corrie D.D. Samuel Stockdale esq. sen. S. West esq. and the trustees of Richard Young esq. are chief landowners, The soil is loam; subsoil clay and silt. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, peas, mustard and potatoes. The area is 3,056 acres, rateable value, £5,591; the population in 1881 was 483.

FITTON END, almost one mile soth. is partly in the parish and partly in that of Leverington.


Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014


Newton in the Isle Parish Council web-site
More On Newton-in-the-Isle [Alan Gresley]
Genealogical Information on Newton-in-the-Isle [Forebears]
More on Newton in the Isle [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page