NEWTON-by-CASTLE ACRE is a village and parish. 4 miles north-east from Swaffham station, in the Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, rural deanery of North Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a Saxon structure and a very early church, traceable at least to the time of the Confessor: it was originally cruciform, but the transepts have disappeared: it consists of nave only, and has a low square tower. The register dates from the year 1800. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £97, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich. It is proposed to annex this living to Castle Acre. The principal landowners are A. C. Fountaine esq. of Narford Hall, who is lord of the manor, and Edward Wenman Martin esq. The soil is light loan; the subsoil is gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and pasture. The area is 1,058 acres; rateable value £1,493; and the population in 1881 was 68.
Letters through Swaffham. Castle Acre is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Newton by Castle Acre Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Newton-by-Castle Acre watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Ancient of Days (Introduction to the ancient churches of East Lexham, Great Dunham, Houghton on the Hill and Newton By Castle Acre) [Simon Knott]
More on Newton by Castle Acre [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page