NEWTON FLOTMAN is a village and parish, 1½ miles north-east from Flordon station, and 7 miles south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Henstead union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a handsome Gothic structure of flint and stone, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a square embattled tower containing 1 bell: there is a brass monument to the Blondeville family. The register dates from the year 1557. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Swainsthorpe, joint yearly value £627, tithe rent charge with 48 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Fortescue Walker Kellett Long esq. and held since 1835 by the Rev. Henry Churchman Long B.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. The charities are £9 yearly. Fortescue Walter K. Long esq. who is lord of the manor, Robert Fellowes esq. and Sir Charles Harvey bart. are the principal landowners. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 1,173 acres; rateable value £2,399; the population in 1881 was 284.
POST OFFICE.Mrs. Emma Yallop, receiver. Letters through Long Stratton arrive at 8.35 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Long Stratton is the nearest money order office, & the telegraph office is at Flordon station.
CARRIERS from Harleston & Long Stratton to Norwich pass through mon. wed. & sat. at 9.30 a.m. returning same days
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1846 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Newton Flotman Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Newton Flotman (Saxlingham Thorpe) watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Newton Flotman [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page